Spectra Premium F32A fuel tank/fuel vapor separator fitment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible
I just ordered a new Spectra F32A tank that is due in tomorrow. I was reading through old threads this morning and saw where someone else had posted a question regarding the install of the vapor separator but didn't get a response. I have the same question so I hope you guys have an answer. I hadn't noticed before, but according to the photo on the Spectra site and the previous posters photo of his new tank, the hole in the top of the tank only has 2 slots for the separator to fit into. The vapor separator itself has 3 tabs. How can the vapor separator fit into the tank when the tank has the wrong number of slots? Please help! Thanks

It's hard to tell from these online photos, but the vapor separator does have 3 die cast tabs and the tank only has 2 slots in the top of the tank. Even the Spectra web site shows 2 slots. I have not dropped the old tank to see the old one but every vapor separator I have seen, old or new had 3 tabs. Did your tank have 2 or 3 slots in the top? Thanks

Sorry, forgot to attach files.....

Attachments

• fuel tank.pdf
    309.8 KB
  • vapor separator ACP FG-FVS071 Mustang Fuel Vapor Separator Vent 1971 - 1973 - ACP.pdf
    886.6 KB
No worries...I just got my Spectra Premium tank a week ago, and had the same concern. It does fit just fine. You just have to align two of the tabs to the slots and the third slot does not come into play. You'll need to wiggle it a little to get it under the hold down clamp but not difficult at all. Here's my pictures if it helps.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    448.2 KB
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    556.3 KB
Thanks for your input. What did you use for filtering media or did you just leave it out? I was considering the Scotch-Brite SS scrubber as mentioned in other posts on this subject. Thanks again!

No worries...I just got my Spectra Premium tank a week ago, and had the same concern. It does fit just fine. You just have to align two of the tabs to the slots and the third slot does not come into play. You'll need to wiggle it a little to get it under the hold down clamp but not difficult at all. Here's my pictures if it helps.
Bob
I can't remember what mine was like, too long ago and too short a memory! BUT I see from your photo why it has three tabs. One is inboard of the opening and the other two fit the locate slots. It would be confusing for sure.

Thanks for your input. What did you use for filtering media or did you just leave it out? I was considering the Scotch-Brite SS scrubber as mentioned in other posts on this subject. Thanks again!
Agreed. Or something similar that won't break down in gasoline.

I haven’t decided yet but my first choice is the SS scrubber based on forum member comments. The problem I’m stuck on is trying to find a smaller diameter one. The tank vent housing is a 1.5 inch diameter and the scrubber pads I’ve seen are much bigger, like 2.5 to 3” diameter. I’m thinking that trimming one would make it more susceptible to falling apart and packing a bigger one in would defeat the whole purpose of a vent. I might even leave it out completely. When I took mine off there was not even a hint that the original black filter media ever existed. My picture above is what I found. I do plan to soak in some carb cleaner and clean out the orifice for certain.

I might be making too big a deal about the size of the SS pad because that seems like the best solution.

Bob

Great observation on the tabs! I zoomed up on Bobs photo and can see how the tab positions radiate out from flush to the hole and migrate out incrementally on the remaining two. Missed that completely. I bought the Scotch-Brite for the heck of it. You are right, they are about 2 1/2 dia. x about 1 1/2 thick. Once my new separator gets in I'll give it a try and see how packed in it is with the SS pad. May leave it out depending on what it looks like. I don't know of any way to determine if it would be too restrictive or not. Which would be worse, restricting it too much or running the risk that fuel get up inside the vent tube? I've seen some people suggest fuel resistant tank foam but from what I've read, that material only lasts about 5 years even if you maintain (clean) it periodically. Obviously that wouldn't be a viable alternative. Why does something that should be so simple have to be so complicated?

I used course Scotch-Brite sanding type material and may regret that, but before I put that in, I soaked it in gas for a week or more with no sign of it breaking down. Is it still in there?? who knows and I'm not about to drop the tank to find out. This material's main purpose is to help prevent fuel going back down the tube as far as I can figure out. If some fuel was to get into the vent tube, wouldn't it evaporate out eventually?
As far as cutting an SS pad to fit, try it and see if it falls apart or not. Here's another thought that just crossed my mind. Could a piece of SS screen material, maybe cut from a kitchen sieve or similar, be inserted into the neck of the cap to hold the SS scrubber in place, or even take a piece and fold it over a couple of times and just use that as a barrier to the fuel going into the vent tube? I don't know, just fishing for ideas thinking out of the box so to speak.

I had the same thought about the strainer. My concern there is that the screen is so fine that over time would some sort of residue build up on the screen and clog things up....who knows? I did try cutting up the Scotch-Brite scrubber with some tin snips and didn't like the result. As with the screen, could that stuff become contaminated with some sort of gunk as well over time? I may be overthinking this as well. It's my understanding too that the material was there as an anti-slosh barrier. If some fuel does get in there I too would think that it would evaporate in a short time. What I do know, is that when that thing is unable to vent things get screwed up due to the pressure build up in the tank. I'm leaning toward just installing without any filtering material unless someone out there has had a bad experience by doing so. Hopefully someone will chime in soon, I'm planning on doing the install tomorrow.

I had the same thought about the strainer. My concern there is that the screen is so fine that over time would some sort of residue build up on the screen and clog things up....who knows? I did try cutting up the Scotch-Brite scrubber with some tin snips and didn't like the result. As with the screen, could that stuff become contaminated with some sort of gunk as well over time? I may be overthinking this as well. It's my understanding too that the material was there as an anti-slosh barrier. If some fuel does get in there I too would think that it would evaporate in a short time. What I do know, is that when that thing is unable to vent things get screwed up due to the pressure build up in the tank. I'm leaning toward just installing without any filtering material unless someone out there has had a bad experience by doing so. Hopefully someone will chime in soon, I'm planning on doing the install tomorrow.
It probably wouldn't be a problem as long as the tank isn't
full to the brim. As far as gunk goes, I suppose it's possible, but one would think any gunk would fall to the bottom of the tank.
It would be nice to know what Ford used. No-one seems to have any idea.

What ever it was, they didn't have to be concerned about the effects of Ethanol. That stuff seems to attack everything to some extent. I'll just roll the dice and go without a filter media. If fuel gets in there somehow I'm pretty convinced that it will evaporate quickly.

Back