Speed nuts for rear side marker bezel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with 460 engine, C6 automatic gearbox.
Hi!

I am wondering if anyone knows the dimensions of the speed nuts used to fasten the rear side marker bezel to the body? My PO had fastened the bezels with glue! Now I am in the process of installing new side marker lights but stupid as I am I did not check what kind of fastener/nut was used until my attemp to install the new marker lights last weekend. :atomic:

Thanks in advance

Best regars

Thomas

Thanks a lot Don! ::thumb:: There is a vendor here i Sweden that sells lots of different types of nuts, bolts and brackets. But without the proper size I'd need to buy like 8 speed nuts to find the correct one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always considered them to be marginal for new parts, a failure waiting to happen when trying to reinstall old parts. I've twisted more than a few of the posts off, both removing and installing. Use some rubber cement or something with similar consistency to seal them, prevent the nuts from loosening, but still (hopefully) allow them to be removed.

Also a good advice rocket366! I was also thinking of this or welding a threaded stud instead of the posts. One other thing that also really bothers me is the new marker light to body gasket I also bought. It feels very thick making the marker light come out from the body. In other words, in my OCD world, it does not align well with the outside of the bezel (hard to explain, I'll take a picture and post it). :)

Here is what I mean. I think my problem with the alignment is because I am unable to fasten the nuts any harder. They just "pops" off the posts. I think I am going to try and thread the posts and use regular nuts and washers. My father has some tools I hope.

1glok5.jpg

289v4te.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update to this after a couple of months. The threading did not go as planned. The material in the bezel is so fragile I broke one post right off and another post refused being threaded leaving it almost lathed. The previous owner had glued them inplace and I'll guess I'll do that dirty quick fix also. I want to get the car passing the vehicle inspection.

Back