Speed shop or Engine stand

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe. 302 2V - C4 trans
All,

For the few of you that are hanging around the Houston area, I'd like to find a speed shop to run-in my rebuilt engine (done by Owens' Racing in Pearland).

Can anybody point me to someone who can help me tune a new electronic ignition, a rebuilt 40 yr old carburetor (original), and get the engine past its "break-in point"?

Thanks for any tips!

Jay

A local builder that has been around for quite a while, Dale Bridges Performance Engines

832-444-9431, He's on Pinemont, west of Ella Blvd.

I think a run in and tune is $350.

He built my Shelby block 496 cu in.for my Kirkham and ran it in on his setup.

A great way to make sure it doesn't overheat, gets all the cylinders balanced for exhaust temp, check and set max advance, etc.

It's way easier to work on while on the stand rather than in the car.

Curtis

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave Gary a Call and he is gonna set me up next week. Quoted price is $250 (run-in & tune) on my stock 302.

I'm pretty dang excited about this!

Can anyone give me a checklist of things I need to verify before I head up there?

Stuff that is done:

- Carb (original) & distributor (pertronix) are rebuilt, installed & I believe ready to go.

- New plugs and wires are in.

- I've installed HiPo cast iron performance headers (no gaskets so far, but can change that).

- I put in a temporary hose loop for the heater water circuit

- Vacuum lines are in for the carb and and dist (intake vacuum block has open ports still for booster and other firewall stuff)

What about these items?

- Starter?

- Flywheel?

- Transmission?

- OTHERS?

Thanks for any advice- Jay

I don't knwo who Gary is.

You'll need everything from bell housing forward. It attaches the bell housing to the stand.

Also bring your radiator hoses along. He has different hoses, but it's far easier to connect if you bring yours.

Starter, flywheel (especially if 157 tooth), bellhousing. headers and some pipe to extend the headers if possible. Not absolutely needed but helps tone the noise down.

How's your distributor? The last one he did had major advance problems. The bushings were worn out on the vacuum advance arm to the plate and the timing was jumping all around.

Best of luck.

Sorry. Meant Dale. IDKWTF I was thinking with "gary".

I've got new radiator hoses. Will bring.

I can get starter, flywheel and bell housing installed.

I don't have any pipes for the exhaust. I tossed the old pipe and muffler (severely rusted, and want new H-pipe with dual exhaust) May just bring ear muffs...

I completely torn down the distributor and lightly soda blasted all components (except gears) to clean. Installed new pertronix and guts. Should be good to go.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jay

Back