SPINNING ROCKER NUT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
After trying to adjust the rockers on my 302 Windsor I found one nut sitting there and just spinning! Won't tighten down or loosen up. Rocker stud looks okay but not certain on that, this is an engine that just had been freshly rebuilt. How can I loosen that nut and or replace the stud? Any help is gladly appreciated!

If you have stock heads and they haven't been converted to screw in rocker studs your rocker studs are pressed in. That one will have to be removed and replaced.

Like computercarguy suggested, try to pry up on the bottom of the rocker arm while turning the nut. It may already be partially out of the head. You may need an oversized stud for replacement, which requires reeming the stud bore in the head. This can be done with the head on, just make sure no filings get into the block or valley.

Who rebuit it? Can you take it back to them?

EDIT: Have you considered a performance upgrade? If so, now might be a good time to upgrade to GT40P heads or install screw-in rocker studs on your existing heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys I will try to pull on the rocker while turning the nut. WAM Willard Auto Machine rebuilt my motor, he's the best in town. Perhaps I'll talk to him first. Yes my heads are stock except for hardened seats so I can run unleaded gas. I have no way taking the engine back to him since the transmission and almost everything else is attached to it and I don't have a truck or trailer. I'll figure something out...

Latest posts

Back