Start/stick/batt issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
Went to start the 72 the other day and it cranked real slow and didn't have enough juice to turn over, optima red top is 8 months old and has only started the car maybe 20 times.

Well I suspected I had a paracitic draw, but didn't show anything on my dvom. So I charged the battery, and checked it while I had it connected to the car (cables) I checked it one day later and it was down half a volt. Same thing the next day. So I charged it back up, and left it disconnected in the car. Checked the voltage a day later and same thing a half a volt lower. So I may have a battery that crapped out and won't hold a charge. When I cranked it over today it didn't have enough juice again but when I let off the key from the start position it kept cranking (keys in my hand) so I ran back and pulled the neg cable off. I gave the start solenoid a smack thinking it was sticking. I charged her back up and she fired like it usually does.. Any ideas? Its just a parts store shelf brand solenoid, powermaster starter....

check the batt's fluid levels? i know they will do some weird things when a cell dries up.......it does sound like a solenoid too.

one more thing....when you start it and run it for a while...kill it..and touch the cable runing too your solenoid from the starter and see if its hot....some times a starter can ground out inside..and go bad...mine did...the cable was toast too...it kept acting like it was out of power..and would turn over really slow after i drove around and got it warmed up....but once i let it sit and cool off..it would start normal like it had a million volts.....but soon as i drove it around and killed it at a gas station..it would act like it was out of power...even know it wasnt....i would have to wait like 15 minutes before i could start it again..lol

Sounds like the solenoid to me.I would also check the small wires going to the soliniod.I have seen these get hot and melt. I am sure it is probably just a bad soliniod though.They will go bad just sitting.

+1 on getting it load tested. If the battery is disconnected and it's losing charge I don't think it's the solenoid.

+3 on change the solenoid. What voltage does the battery read after it has been charged and sat for a few hours? Chuck

Do yourself a favor and please change the battery to a Interstate or Exide. Optima batteries are acceptable on a daily driven car, but will fail on a vehicle that sits. The main difference between an Optima and a standard battery is that instead of rows of lead plates, the Optima has spiral plates that are rolled like a AA battery. The advantage in theory is that they will discharge slower, however they also charge slower. They need to be charged on a reactive charger with a 5 amp MAX because they are sealed and cannot vent and will internally boil. If a red top goes below 10.5 volts even once it is rare that it can be revived without a proper charger. The yellow/blue top can be discharged several times before it is irreversibly damaged. This is the only charger that I have used that can revive a discharged Optima or Odyssey battery: http://www.interacter.com/Ps_page.html. I have had mine for about 11 years and use it at my shop 2-3 times a week. Not cheap though. If your car still has the original type voltage regulator you may want to swap it out. They can intermittently latch on and cause a 2-3 amp draw. Definitely change the solenoid too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a company that makes a good one?

Should I get a ford one? I hate off brand parts store junk. I'm going to get that battery tested this week also. I havnt tested it after a few hours, just overnight. I have an optima in my brono daily driver and it was always so trustworthy, even in the - 30s it can get to here. Ill be looking into an exide ive had good luck with them in the past also ...Thanks for the quick replies

Last edited by a moderator:
Cody,

I am on my second Optima Red Top in the Grande and I am only running about 10.6:1 compression ratio in my 472. With 12:1 compression, you have to appreciate that your starter is putting a lot of drain on the battery.

A lot of folks swear by the Optima but for my 545 that is going in the Mach 1, I will be going with an Oddessy.

With my Optima, the Grande had been at the Restorer for a little over a year and was not started too often during that period. When we try to recharge the battery, it would not hold a good charge so I took it back where I purchased it and they gave me a "new" one. According to the salesman, they have had a few returned for not holding a charge.

You might want to do a little research on the Oddessy.

Just my .02.

BT

I have had good luck with my Optima, but I have not run it down. You can get a good solinoid at Oreillys, just ask for a Borg Warner.I have had very good luck with those.I also say do the electronic regulater as mentioned. You can take the factory cover and install it on the electronic and never tell the differance.

I had nothing but trouble with optima battery's in my 5 litter and my 5th wheel. I went back to Motorcraft battery's. Haven't had any battery troubles in years. I replaced the 3rd set of Interstate deep cycle battery's that came in my Toy hauler with Optima battery's they didn't last 4 months. In stalled 2 BX 56 Motorcraft battery's in my Toy hauler 3 or 4 years ago. They have never failed with hours of lights and CD changer on out at the desert. I would have to start my truck up so I could start the generator to make coffee in the morning. Thats what the group wanted to hear 1st thing in the morning a power stroke idling to charge up the Interstate battery's. Sorry for the rant it just struck a nerve I will be ok.

Took the optima back to parts store and they tested it--- this is funny--

it had 12.3v and only 128 CCA, (supposed to have 800) They gave me a new one, so im going to craigs list it and probobly go motorcraft. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

When I get everything replaced ill let you all know how it works out.

Went to start the 72 the other day and it cranked real slow and didn't have enough juice to turn over, optima red top is 8 months old and has only started the car maybe 20 times.

Well I suspected I had a paracitic draw, but didn't show anything on my dvom. So I charged the battery, and checked it while I had it connected to the car (cables) I checked it one day later and it was down half a volt. Same thing the next day. So I charged it back up, and left it disconnected in the car. Checked the voltage a day later and same thing a half a volt lower. So I may have a battery that crapped out and won't hold a charge. When I cranked it over today it didn't have enough juice again but when I let off the key from the start position it kept cranking (keys in my hand) so I ran back and pulled the neg cable off. I gave the start solenoid a smack thinking it was sticking. I charged her back up and she fired like it usually does.. Any ideas? Its just a parts store shelf brand solenoid, powermaster starter....
Hello, sounds like a solenoid problem, I'd get a new best quality solenoid and clean up the connections at your starter and ground points. Those high dollar batteries do fail after short periods.... change it out as its less than a year and I assume you have warranty with the purchase retailer

Latest posts

Back