Starter and Battery Ground Cable Routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclone03

Reaction score
My Car
72 351HO
I’m working on a 71 Boss 351.
I have the correct stater and battery ground cables. How do they route and where do the clamps mount?
The ground cable has a mid terminal I understand this to be the chassis ground where does it attach?

Thanks to all again.

The mid terminal goes onto a screw on the bottom of the voltage regulator. The end of the ground wire goes to the block, there is a forward looking hole on the block right under the alternator where it screws onto. Here is a thread where you can see where the mid terminal goes to:
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/battery-cables.35134/

Thank you for the link,I must not have used the correct search words.
The length of the ground makes sense now.
I thought the block ground was that forward facing boss but the terminal mid cable had me scratching my head.

What about routing the starter cable?

Thank you for the link,I must not have used the correct search words.
The length of the ground makes sense now.
I thought the block ground was that forward facing boss but the terminal mid cable had me scratching my head.

What about routing the starter cable?
This is all I could dig up in the various manuals I have. If you need more info let me know and I can take some photos/videos of the starter cable routing on our 73 Mustangs. We are showing our ponies at a car show this weekend, so it may be a few days before I get to that for you.

Attachments

• 1971-1973Mustang_StarterCircuitWiring_20220708.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
This is all I could dig up in the various manuals I have. If you need more info let me know and I can take some photos/videos of the starter cable routing on our 73 Mustangs. We are showing our ponies at a car show this weekend, so it may be a few days before I get to that for you.
Thanks,I have that diagram,not enough detail.

The starter cable should have a metal bracket with a rubber insulator on it. The Electrical assembly manual show it to be mounted at that same forward facing bolt hole. It shows an outer toothed washer on the block, then the ground cable, then the starter cable bracket, and then the bolt. Chuck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125229523025

Back