Steering column Dust seal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
Once again I want to give everybody a heads up on an aftermarket part. I bought a new dust seal that goes in the bottom of our steering columns between the outer tube and the park lock out tube. The original is open cell light weight foam, and the replacement I got from an aftermarket source is a closed cell dense foam. When I installed it the lock out tube did not want to move freely because the seal is pinching the tube. I am going to try to rub some graphite into the seal to see if that helps. Don't get me wrong, it does its job and may wear in after a while, but it's VERY tight. I just don't understand why they change all these things. If the originals worked for over 40 years, why change how they are made? I did see another supplier has a less dense version of it. That may be the way to go!!

I have to update this. I have my refurbished steering column back in the car now. This dust seal is actually working ok. I just rubbed some graphite powder all over the seal and now it seems to be working fine. The park lock out function is working good. If it lasts, this may actually be a better seal than the original!!

Back