Steering lock cylinder "locks "the key

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
Hi guys !
I have a 71 Mach 1 with manual gearbox and no tilt steering column. The steering gear (Saginaw) was just rebuilt.
So far I have no issues with the steering lock and key but now I have.
During the steering gear rebuild the starting key was in place ( to enable to turn the wheels ).
When installing the Saginaw back everything went smoothly and the steering wheels turns from lock to lock ( 3 turns as this is the 429 steering gear)
I started the car and had a ride. Everything went fine but when I wanted to take the key off - it did not go to the release point in the lock cylinder to release the key...
Have I missed something when installing the gear ? The steering wheel has been in place all the time.

I have once - years ago - taken the gear out but had no issues then.

Anotherr thing - I have a new lock cylinder available and would like to change it. Any advise to that ?

Look at your column/rag joint assembly. At the bottom of the column, near the rag joint there is a lever that usually attaches to a reverse lockout rod from the transmission - most of these cars have had that reverse lockout rod removed for one reason or another, and the column lever can rotate, causing the problem you describe. Reach down and rotate that lever back to the up position. You may need to wire it up, or find the correct lockout rod for your engine/transmission combination. If your trans is not original the lockout rod may not fit correctly, so be aware of that.

This collar on the column is part of the mechanism that 71coop is referring to. You can simply rotate it counter clockwise and it'll allow you to remove the key.

View attachment 86566
Thank you! I have to try that.
Any idea of the lock cylinder change?

Look at your column/rag joint assembly. At the bottom of the column, near the rag joint there is a lever that usually attaches to a reverse lockout rod from the transmission - most of these cars have had that reverse lockout rod removed for one reason or another, and the column lever can rotate, causing the problem you describe. Reach down and rotate that lever back to the up position. You may need to wire it up, or find the correct lockout rod for your engine/transmission combination. If your trans is not original the lockout rod may not fit correctly, so be aware of that.
Thank you- I will try that.
Any advise of the lock cylinder change ?

I've done that, but its been so long I can't give you any useful tips. I do remember thinking it wasn't hard at all.

This collar on the column is part of the mechanism that 71coop is referring to. You can simply rotate it counter clockwise and it'll allow you to remove the key.

View attachment 86566
dang, cool trick. I never needed to do that, and hope I never do. But, you can bet I am going to remember this pointer... Thank you for sharing.

Hi 71coop !
Good news! I did what you suggested and it worked!
The lever down there must have moved a bit during the steering gear maneuver.
It was "at 10 o'clock position and I moved it by hand to "12" and after that the key in the lock cylinder was able to be removed.
Thank you so much for this tip !

dang, cool trick. I never needed to do that, and hope I never do. But, you can bet I am going to remember this pointer... Thank you for sharing.

Hi, no problem ! I found a video in the YouTube and followed it. Now I have the new lock cylinder in place.

Hi 71coop !
Good news! I did what you suggested and it worked!
The lever down there must have moved a bit during the steering gear maneuver.
It was "at 10 o'clock position and I moved it by hand to "12" and after that the key in the lock cylinder was able to be removed.
Thank you so much for this tip !
Glad that was all it was. You might want to be aware that it may move again - hence my suggestion to get the right lockout rod or wire the lever in the up position.

Back