steering noise....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrose

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible, 351c 2bbl,red/white roof.
on my 73 Cleveland 2bbl convert, on first start up. theres a graunching noise when I turn the wheel. Fluid level is fine on a hot check, and noise seems to go away as car gets hot.

Any advice welcomed.

Adrian

on my 73 Cleveland 2bbl convert, on first start up. theres a graunching noise when I turn the wheel. Fluid level is fine on a hot check, and noise seems to go away as car gets hot.

Any advice welcomed.

Adrian
If the proper fluid is being used (type F) and it is full, about all that leaves is the pump itself. However, the noise going away as the fluid heats up does seem to fit the profile. Is the belt tight, any play in the water pump (long shot guess's)? Let us know what you find. Chuck

I too have some musicians in my front accessories bearings :p Water-pump is brand new but i know the alternator has some noise and the steering pump has a weird one similar to what Adrose is describing... My best guess is that the alignment between the pulleys is not perfect due to some mistakes i may did in the reassemble of the car... In that hypothesis, that miss-alignment causes like a whistle sound when i first start the car... then it tends to go away... not for good but it keeps very light...

I've got what sounds like the same thing going on in my stang'. I tried to figure out what was going on, and about the only thing left that I can think to do is replace the pump , but that would be part of the cars long wishlist. Let me know if you figure it out, eh?

Back