Still searching Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You pointed it out: a 4-speed is difficult to find, automatic you have more choice. I wanted a 4 speed and found one - with the circumstances that it was soon a project. I don't regret because I always wanted to have one. But from time to time, as I drove it before taking all apart I felt an automatic would be perhaps less stressful to drive sometime. With a 4-speed and a healthy motor it is difficult to cruise, with a idle at ca. 1.000 rpm (351C 4V) the car wanted always to be driven. You are in a permanent race modus :D That's the charm on it - and don't forget the pedal forces and pedal ways which are needed to shift - it is not as on your everyday Volkswagen from 2015... ;)

I think an automatic will be the better cruiser and the 4-speed the better racer. But you can do also both with them important to say. A 4-speed will be hanging more directly on the rear than an automatic which will react a bit more softer at the end.

It all depends on how your drivestyle is...

Driving automatic is not that difficult to learn. If you can drive with a hand-shifted car you can also drive an automatic in general.

In case of doubt better buy the better car - the original and the untouched the better - if that car has an automatic or a 4-speed is then secondary...
My ordinary car is not a Volks, it's this..  lollerz  V code pweter metal 

big-47639704cc.jpg
Don't forget that you can always drive an automatic like a manual, just without the clutch ie start in 1st, move to 2nd then drive as/when you want too. Same with downshifting.

One other thing with importing cars directly from the USA, make sure that it is possible to actually register the car in France. I've been told recently that France, being France, is almost impossible to get it done this way, that's to say if a car has only been registered in the USA and not in Europe. The guy I was speaking to does some assistance with this and he picks up imported cars from French docks, takes them to UK for them to be registered there and then they get re-imported back into France. Seems it's much easier to get them registered that way. However this is what I was told so have no way of verifying if this is actually the case. Certainly worth checking out though just to be sure, others on here will have more info than me.

I sent you a PM. I found the perfect car at a great price. 1972 Q code 4 speed, Mach 1 Sports interior, Air cond. Power windows, rim blow wheel, AM/FM, gauges, Long console, NASA hood with locks and black out, magnum 500, red with black interior in great shape. Will get all the details and info and pics and send. $25,000 but you have to do nothing but drive it.

More to come later.

Here is an update on the options.

Power brakes.

power steering

power  windows.

heated rear window defrost

4 speed

AM-FM stereo

Rear bumper guards

Door edge guards

Rear spoiler

Front spoiler

71 style pop open gas cap

staggered shocks competition suspension

Factory Tach with gauge cluster

Ram air

Tilt steering wheel

72 351 CJ engine with 1970 closed chamber heads

Convenience group option including the parking brakes and map light.

AC ( THAT WORKS ) . Has been changed over to R34A

Rim blow wheel ( That works )

This one will be difficult to beat. I would still suggest an in person review to do a through check of everything.

I will PM the pictures so that someone does not go around you and buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
End of the search....

My contact in the states found me a 3F05Q with 4 speed.The car is in good shape, with no rust on the floor.I have to change the rear tyres as they are of the same size as the front one.

I have follow your advice, and decided to buy a car not modified and free from rust instead of a great motor and a poor body. The red wasn't my first choice, but...

I have now two month to wait before i can drive ..

End of the search....

My contact in the states found me a 3F05Q with 4 speed.The car is in good shape, with no rust on the floor.I have to change the rear tyres as they are of the same size as the front one.

I have follow your advice, and decided to buy a car not modified and free from rust instead of a great motor and a poor body. The red wasn't my first choice, but...

I have now two month to wait before i can drive ..
Can you share pictures?

Can you share pictures?
The black on the hood has to be changed it has to be flat instead of shinny,and the rear tires too.

For the rest has I wasn't seaching a beast of hsow, i guess it will make me happy !

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!  Keep the pics coming once you get her home!

Ray
Thanks, i 'll have to wait again 2 months.

I think about adding the Ram air option..

Well, i have been silent for a while..but it's only by superstition.. 

The car is in FRance now, in transit between the dock, and the seller. 

I think that we could ended with all the **** french reglementations, laws and taxes... by the end of this month.

AS soon as i get the car, i come back with picture, to share my pleasure.

We know that there will have some work on it.. :D

So , it is close to my house now. I have got some more pics, and , well... there will have some work on it..

But that's a part of the game , right ?

At least , I can close this post..

I will pick up my 73 Mach One next friday, again one Week to wait..I 'll post pictures, as soon as i will be in..

Back