Still searching Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While not having seen the car in person, I'd be inclined to pass. She's stuck on a number and the car really isn't worth $15k, especially since it's going to need a full repaint and probably some panel replacement.

Hello,

I'am still searching a 71/73 Mach 1 with 351 4V with manual transmisssion..

I found one that seems to me good (no rust, small scratchs..) but the door tag is missing.

Is it a real problem ? i got the Vin, pics ans Lemon inspection (which says that it is a nice car..). The owner seems to have it form a short time , and i don't know why he is selling..

I leave in France, and it will be my first (but not last !!!) Mustang.

Any help is welcome...

Hi Vincent.

I'm from the UK but have lived in France, in the Vienne, for the last 2 years. Like you it seems I have decided it's the right time to get a mustang and always liked the 1971 model. Wanted this particular year as the last of the full power cars. Anyway I'm in the process of bringing one over from the UK. It's a UK registered car so I figured it would be much easier to import as, at least for now, the UK is still part of the EU! I looked at adverts in France, Germany and Holland but cars seemed either more expensive or in a more used condition than I could generally see in the UK. Much more choice in the USA of course but then you are paying transport, import duties and taxes etc. Comes down to the availability of what you are looking for, price and difficulties of importing. I've been in France long enough to know about the bureaucratic issues lol. Might, therefore, be worth checking out ads in the UK too. Anyways, good luck with your search!

Andy

Andy , thanks for the info.  Nice idea. I haven't thought to Uk in my search..

Is there a sort "of cragilist" for the Uk  ?

While not having seen the car in person, I'd be inclined to pass. She's stuck on a number and the car really isn't worth $15k, especially since it's going to need a full repaint and probably some panel replacement.
Right,

In France a full quality paint is 7000 euros.. (more than 8000$) with no panel replacement..

The good thing it is not painted so nothing hidden under shiny paint. I would pay more for an unpainted solid car that a shiny one I did not know what was under it. They say will take offers also. I find when you bring a bag full of $20.00 and start stacking them up people will deal with you.

Exporting a car is not difficult hundreds leave the U.S. every week. Sometimes getting the certification needed in like Germany or Australia becomes more difficult to get road worthy in their eyes.

There were some Swedish guys at Charlotte in the spring buying cars all over for export. Some were completely taken apart and projects.

Hi Vince

You could try these :-

carandclassic.co.uk and search for mustangs

exchangeandmart.co.uk/classic-cars-for-sale and search 

ebay.co.uk and search

autotrader.co.uk and search 

classicandsportscar.com and search

classiccarsforsale.co.uk and search

Best of Luck

Andy

The good thing it is not painted so nothing hidden under shiny paint. I would pay more for an unpainted solid car that a shiny one I did not know what was under it. They say will take offers also. I find when you bring a bag full of $20.00 and start stacking them up people will deal with you.

Exporting a car is not difficult hundreds leave the U.S. every week. Sometimes getting the certification needed in like Germany or Australia becomes more difficult to get road worthy in their eyes.

There were some Swedish guys at Charlotte in the spring buying cars all over for export. Some were completely taken apart and projects.
I think you're right.. fresh paint isn't alway the sign of a perfect car.. i saw some a fastback in France which was perfect when it arrived, and began to rust one year later..

Hi Vince

You could try these :-

carandclassic.co.uk and search for mustangs

exchangeandmart.co.uk/classic-cars-for-sale and search 

ebay.co.uk and search

autotrader.co.uk and search 

classicandsportscar.com and search

classiccarsforsale.co.uk and search

Best of Luck

Andy
Thanks, i' ll try

Again me...

I found another Q code, with a · FRESHENED 351C 4V OUT OF 1970 MACH 1. Is it exactly the same engine ?

Women and cars....

When my wife began to find interrest in Mach 1 project, she told me that she will be happy to drive it...

Well, i guess i have to change my choice to an automatic instead of a manual..

good point : it will be easier to find.

Bad point : i've never drived an automatic.

You pointed it out: a 4-speed is difficult to find, automatic you have more choice. I wanted a 4 speed and found one - with the circumstances that it was soon a project. I don't regret because I always wanted to have one. But from time to time, as I drove it before taking all apart I felt an automatic would be perhaps less stressful to drive sometime. With a 4-speed and a healthy motor it is difficult to cruise, with a idle at ca. 1.000 rpm (351C 4V) the car wanted always to be driven. You are in a permanent race modus :D That's the charm on it - and don't forget the pedal forces and pedal ways which are needed to shift - it is not as on your everyday Volkswagen from 2015... ;)

I think an automatic will be the better cruiser and the 4-speed the better racer. But you can do also both with them important to say. A 4-speed will be hanging more directly on the rear than an automatic which will react a bit more softer at the end.

It all depends on how your drivestyle is...

Driving automatic is not that difficult to learn. If you can drive with a hand-shifted car you can also drive an automatic in general.

In case of doubt better buy the better car - the original and the untouched the better - if that car has an automatic or a 4-speed is then secondary...

Again me...

I found another Q code, with a · FRESHENED 351C 4V OUT OF 1970 MACH 1. Is it exactly the same engine ?
The 70 351C-4V was an M-code which has the closed chambered heads.  It didn't have some of the performance "tweaks" that Ford applied to the Q, but nothing earth shattering.

Again me...

The 70 351C-4V was an M-code which has the closed chambered heads.  It didn't have some of the performance "tweaks" that Ford applied to the Q, but nothing earth shattering.
I thought the M-code was a more performance engine than the q-code? It has more compression for example. Or do you mean the 4 bolt mains which the q-codes (mostly, mine not) got or any similar things? Which one would you rate more "performance", taken only the '71 M- and Q-codes?

A 1970 M-code 351C is very basically said the same engine than the later q-code, it is also a 351C 4V. But the differences are in the internals like compression, camshaft timing, heads, pistons etc... Block and crankshaft are the same, like on all 351Cs.

You pointed it out: a 4-speed is difficult to find, automatic you have more choice. I wanted a 4 speed and found one - with the circumstances that it was soon a project. I don't regret because I always wanted to have one. But from time to time, as I drove it before taking all apart I felt an automatic would be perhaps less stressful to drive sometime. With a 4-speed and a healthy motor it is difficult to cruise, with a idle at ca. 1.000 rpm (351C 4V) the car wanted always to be driven. You are in a permanent race modus :D That's the charm on it - and don't forget the pedal forces and pedal ways which are needed to shift - it is not as on your everyday Volkswagen from 2015... ;)

I think an automatic will be the better cruiser and the 4-speed the better racer. But you can do also both with them important to say. A 4-speed will be hanging more directly on the rear than an automatic which will react a bit more softer at the end.

It all depends on how your drivestyle is...

Driving automatic is not that difficult to learn. If you can drive with a hand-shifted car you can also drive an automatic in general.

In case of doubt better buy the better car - the original and the untouched the better - if that car has an automatic or a 4-speed is then secondary...
My ordinary car is not a Volks, it's this..  lollerz  V code pweter metal 

big-47639704cc.jpg

Again me...

I thought the M-code was a more performance engine than the q-code? It has more compression for example. Or do you mean the 4 bolt mains which the q-codes (mostly, mine not) got or any similar things? Which one would you rate more "performance", taken only the '71 M- and Q-codes?

A 1970 M-code 351C is very basically said the same engine than the later q-code, it is also a 351C 4V. But the differences are in the internals like compression, camshaft timing, heads, pistons etc... Block and crankshaft are the same, like on all 351Cs.
Yes, and no. 

The M-code had higher compression, but was saddled with a very mildly timed cam and the smaller Autolite 4300 600cfm carb, along with a torque converter on automatic models that was not well suited to the engine's power band. 

The Q-code had a much higher lift and longer duration cam, dual point distributor, larger crank damper and a 715cfm 4300D with massive secondaries. Autos had a small diameter slippy torque converter that got the engine into it's power band much quicker. 

As a package, the Q-code was the better engine as it was more well thought out.

Yes, and no. 

The M-code had higher compression, but was saddled with a very mildly timed cam and the smaller Autolite 4300 600cfm carb, along with a torque converter on automatic models that was not well suited to the engine's power band. 

The Q-code had a much higher lift and longer duration cam, dual point distributor, larger crank damper and a 715cfm 4300D with massive secondaries. Autos had a small diameter slippy torque converter that got the engine into it's power band much quicker. 

Is it M code for the Windsor Anq Q code for the Cleveland ?

The 1969 M code Mustang was a 351 4V Windsor. The 1970 and 1971 M code Mustangs were 351 4V closed chamber Cleveland's. The 1971, 1972, and 1973 Q code Mustangs were 4V open chamber Cleveland's.

Yes, and no. 

Thank you for clarification :goodpost: 

Good to know!

Back