Stinky Rear End

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ford came out in 62 with self adjusting brakes.  I worked at my Dad’s shop after school and the first time I pulled the drums on a  62 Ford I wondered if I would ever be able to get it right, we had an old Cajun guy who worked for us and he bailed me out, and many times on other things.

I just did a complete brake job on my 71 and I can still hear that old guy advising me in my head.

Isn't there a little plate between the ebrake arm and the oval spring?

View attachment 46660

View attachment 46661
David, that's a good point. There weren't any on either side. I will check the rebuild kit as there may be those plates you show. I had not previously done the rear brakes from when I bought the car. It wasn't until I pulled the axle for the rebuild that I ever touch them other than to inspect for wear. Mine is a 71 of course, could that have been a change over the span of the 71-73's? 

Here's a pic of the brakes from before I pulled them apart. If there should be those little plates, I'll have to correct that in the spring.

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have the Ford manuals for the 71 so I cannot go look. Everyone I have ever worked on had them in the past.
I went to CJ Pony and they say 65 - 73 same. True or not I do not know, lol. https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-parking-brake-shoe-link-spring-retainer-10-rear-drum-pair-1965-1973/p/HW1247/
 David thank you so much for your input on this. In my 71 manual, it shows no such plate, just the spring. There is also no mention in the write up. It would make sense to have them, but I guess it was an engineering change between 71 and 72-73. The NPD catalog only shows the springs, no plates like the CJ Pony link. Curiously, NPD show for 65-72, 10" brakes, 2 spring are required but for 73, it shows 4. Hmm!.  Here is a jpg from the 71 manual.

Scan0001.jpg

@Kenny nunez

Thank you for bringing that adjuster spring located wrong, to my attention. Not only is that one in backwards, it also looks like the springs sold in the kit may be wrong as well. My 71 Ford manual states that the first coil should be at the edge of the large hole in the leading shoe, which even on the correctly installed one, it is not. So, gents, it looks like I have a bit more work to do next spring. Pity I chucked all the old springs!

Again thanks to all for the interesting input.

They are shown in the parts manual illustrations:

View attachment 46687
Don, that's interesting. The 71 manual clearly only shows the spring, not the plate. The sketch I show is the only reference to the assembly. Below is the text that refers only to the parking brake link and spring, no mention of the plate. I also note that the above shows 65-72 Mustang. So is the 73 different?

I would have thought that these oval springs and plates would be included in the kits, after all, they wear out too. Again NPD only refer to the oval springs, not the plates, 2A787

Scan0002.jpg

I'm sure that '73s have them also. My parts book is just good through '72.

I've worked on brakes for many years on many years of Fords, and they all had them.

I'm sure that '73s have them also. My parts book is just good through '72.

I've worked on brakes for many years on many years of Fords, and they all had them.
  Not saying you are wrong, but that's not shown in the 71 manual.  David's 73 shows them as he bought this to my attention. As I'm going to have to go over the rear brakes again, I'll order new springs and plates and add them, it certainly makes sense. I was actually surprised replacement oval springs were not included in the kit(s) when everything else imaginable is.

Moving forward, I'm sure this expanded post on a stinky rear end, will be beneficial to many others.

An update to this saga.

First, I did correct the brake adjuster springs on both sides. I must say, it seems an odd way to attach that spring to the leading shoe. Due to the fact that I cannot just go get the parts (for anything right now) I have not added the little plates at the ends of the link bar oval springs. Something I'm not too worried about anyways.

On the "Stinky Rear End" part of this thread and the apparent leak at the gasket, well, it has completely stopped. No sign of any leakage since I cleaned it all down last time.

IMG_1792.JPG

Back