tachometer install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markc

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
i have a 73 mach1 that i bought an after market tach for.one of the wires is supposed to go to the speedometer.for newer cars i guess.is there some type of adapter for this? will the tach work without the wire connected? thanks.

its a qiilu 3.75" 12 volt, 11000 rpm, blue led w/shift light. thats all i know about it. 5 wires come out of the back .....red-battery, black-ground. orange-ignition, white-illumination, green-engine speed input. thanks

I'll need more information about the tach, brand and model. I've never come across this before, don't know why it would need speedometer input.
i was just thinking....green goes to coil???????????

Looks like a decent tach, I tried to find the install instructions online but could not find them. I would not want to give any advice without reading them.

Looks like a decent tach, I tried to find the install instructions online but could not find them. I would not want to give any advice without reading them.
i wish the instructions would be more clear.thanks for the help guys!!

Here is my guess based on reading the features......

5 wires come out of the back

Red - Constant Battery power (to save settings)

Black - Ground

White - Illumination (tie to dash lights so it lights up when lights are on)

Orange - Switched 12v (comes on and provides power when ignition is on)

Green - coil or tach input, depending on what type of ignition you are running.

Hope this helps.

Here is my guess based on reading the features......

5 wires come out of the back

Red - Constant Battery power (to save settings)

Black - Ground

White - Illumination (tie to dash lights so it lights up when lights are on)

Orange - Switched 12v (comes on and provides power when ignition is on)

Green - coil or tach input, depending on what type of ignition you are running.

Hope this helps.
it helps me a lot. again,thanks for the help.

I also assume there is some sort of set up function or switch on back to select for 8 cyl as well. This just gets missed a lot.,
no switch. instructions claim it works on 4,6,8 cyl. we'll see.

If it's not an inductive connection to a spark plug wire I'm not sure how the tach could tell how many cylinders the engine has with a connection to the coil.

Jason is correct, there is usually a switch. An engine fires 2, 3, or 4 times per revolution, depending on if it's 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. Maybe there's something in the initial setup.

Back