Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72FastbackWNC

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback
I had a tail light bulb out. Went to Auto Zone for a 1157 bulb, but it didn't fit properly in the socket so the light wouldn't stay on. The guy said I needed to splice in a universal socket to work with the bulb. Only after doing that did I realize that the universal socket was much smaller than the original. Not sure what to do, since if I spliced the original back on, I would still need a bulb that fit. 

This socket replacement from CJ Pony Parts is supposed to fit, but it doesn't look exactly like the original. http://www.cjponyparts.com/taillight-socket-replacement-1967-1973/p/HW1038/?year=1973&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50PmdEUijUdreDKinp7zWdJ0tzCy4F-_w0cCgAKm4M2ekaAjjm8P8HAQ

Anyone know where to get a socket that fits the housing like the original, and will work properly with the standard bulb?

Thanks

I had a tail light bulb out. Went to Auto Zone for a 1157 bulb, but it didn't fit properly in the socket so the light wouldn't stay on. The guy said I needed to splice in a universal socket to work with the bulb. Only after doing that did I realize that the universal socket was much smaller than the original. Not sure what to do, since if I spliced the original back on, I would still need a bulb that fit. 

This socket replacement from CJ Pony Parts is supposed to fit, but it doesn't look exactly like the original. http://www.cjponyparts.com/taillight-socket-replacement-1967-1973/p/HW1038/?year=1973&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50PmdEUijUdreDKinp7zWdJ0tzCy4F-_w0cCgAKm4M2ekaAjjm8P8HAQ

Anyone know where to get a socket that fits the housing like the original, and will work properly with the standard bulb?

Thanks
you could go to LED for the rear a lot brighter too

I had a tail light bulb out. Went to Auto Zone for a 1157 bulb, but it didn't fit properly in the socket so the light wouldn't stay on. The guy said I needed to splice in a universal socket to work with the bulb.
That's the biggest pile of bull puckey I've ever heard.  If 1157 is the right bulb, then it either fits, or the bulb was mis-manufactured.  No need to buy a universal socket.  The problem was most likely a frozen spring not allowing the bulb to contact the socket pin or a bad ground contact.

Latest posts

Back