Tailpipe routing with competition suspension - photos needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hey guys,

as I installed my exhaust system I ran into problems... As I restored the axle to factory specs and have a rear valance with exhaust cutouts now the driver side rear axle tailpipe doesn't fit at all anymore, in every direction. So I have to fabricate my own one or modify the existing one as I have a 2,5 inch non original exhaust system with Flowmaster mufflers. I don't want to cut off or burn off my brake lines nor dangling the exhaust tips on the rear valance.

To find the right spots for cutting and welding it would be nice to see some photos of your routings, especially from over the brake line distribution block on the axle, the angle of the pipe from the muffler and the routing along the tank. I have competition suspension which makes the whole thing a bit more difficult.

Any help would be very appreciated, thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
Yeah, we had our owns problems with that and although not very popular we went under the rear axle. It has worked out great, never hit anything, works perfectly and looks good at the same time. I am pretty sure it is all done in 2.5-inch stainless steel by my son, Mike. One picture is taken with the suspension hanging free in the air, the other picture is sitting on blocks at ride height. The last picture shows the clearance at the wheel at ride height.

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
Tim, I'm not sure if these pics will help as it's hard to get under the car when it's -5c in the garage!! The things we do for our fellow Mustangers eh!
Anyway, here are a few detail pics of mine with staggered shocks. I have others, but can't seem to find them. Watch the position of the driver side over the brake line connection. Mine actually hit and bent the line, but no damage done. If I find them, I'll post later.

Attachments

• IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 38
Yeah, we had our owns problems with that and although not very popular we went under the rear axle. It has worked out great, never hit anything, works perfectly and looks good at the same time. I am pretty sure it is all done in 2.5-inch stainless steel by my son, Mike. One picture is taken with the suspension hanging free in the air, the other picture is sitting on blocks at ride height. The last picture shows the clearance at the wheel at ride height.
Thank you for the pics. Interesting solution, under the axle! I have not thought about that yet... But it seems to hang low. Would prefer the routing over the axle though.
Tim, I'm not sure if these pics will help as it's hard to get under the car when it's -5c in the garage!! The things we do for our fellow Mustangers eh!
Anyway, here are a few detail pics of mine with staggered shocks. I have others, but can't seem to find them. Watch the position of the driver side over the brake line connection. Mine actually hit and bent the line, but no damage done. If I find them, I'll post later.
Geoff, thank you for your efforts, I appreciate that much. Yeah, for our fellow Mustangers nothing is too hard to do. Don't ask by which degrees I am crumbling under the Mustang these days in the Black Forest... Thanks for the pics, they do help.
Some good pics on the Exhaust page of the 429 Megasite. The driver's shock sits right in the path normally taken by the tailpipe, so you have to turn it outward and go around the shock.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/exhaust.htm
Oh, thank you very much, I did not have the site in mind, it is always a good source!

Thanks again @all

Tim, by the way, these tail pipes were custom made at an exhaust shop, not from a supplier. If you go custom, make SURE the driver side pipe is high enough and away from the brake line that they don't hit as mine did.

Back