Testing the fuel gauge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you add a bend in the float rod? Most of the time it needs to be bent a little. I would probably test the float with the key on, have the arm fully extended, and check gauge, then lift the arm on the float to the top and see if the needle moves to full. If the gauge goes up, then add about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank, put a slight bend in the float arm, then see if you are near a 1/4 tank.

I will be going through this same thing in the next few months, let us know how it goes. Good luck

Tom
I didn't think to check it outside the tank, plugged in, and key on while moving the rod. 

Thanks, I will do that tomorrow.

Pull the sender out and use a multimeter to verify the resistance while moving the arm. IIRC, the ranges are 10 ohms at full to 80 ohms at empty. Check the shop manual for exact numbers.

FWIW, the replacement senders are notoriously inaccurate.

It's raining here today and the Beetle is in the garage about to have the motor pulled so it'll have to wait a bit. But I will do the check when it's dry.

Back