The odyssey begins (resumes?)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71JCode

Reaction score
My Car
71 J-Code 429
The resto project on my 71 J-Code began in earnest today with our trailering it from my home to our shop. I have owned this car since 1973, having bought it from the original owner (another high schooler) as my first car at the ripe young age of 16. For the next few years I had a lot of fun beating a lot of Chevies and anyone else and basically being a dumbass kid building it into a 'race car'. But I kept it sane. No tubbing. Kept almost every single thing we pulled out of it for the strip. Biggest regret at this point would be porting the exhaust on the DOOE's and going .030 over on the block and being forced to pay for a NOS ram air air cleaner (ouch). Well, WTF did I know?

It has sat largely untouched for around 30 years, interrupted every few years by confirmation that yes, it still runs, drives, etc. Odometer says, 25,000 or so, though that is slightly light because it did not function much while I was towing it out to Forest Lane or the track. How many extra miles can you put on a 1/4 at a time? :p

Wife saw the blue one ring up $60k+ at B-J on Speed the other day and said, "Get it done.". So I am. I've been collecting parts for the past 15 years or so, so we're pretty well set with the hard to find stuff. Have two complete long blocks including the original 4-bolt (that's on the stand in the pics). Have the Marti and Eminger, etc.

No huge problems discovered so far except for the obvious interior rot (see the pics) and the cowl and subsequent passenger floorpan problem. Trunk extensions and tail light panel (maybe). Hood's not great (underneath; damned twist locks leak H2O), but I have another solid one. Have a donor for the floor. Probably hack up a new repop for its base and top hat for the cowl. Repop patch the trunk. Rest is drivetrain (do it in my sleep) and interior. Won't be concours; I plan to drive it. A lot.

Probably just HAVE to clean it up and fire it up for a spin around the block or two just for fun before the tear down begins in earnest.

Welcome all comments and advice. It'll be fun. Pics will be posted to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71jcode/

There's already some up there. Today's move into the surgical suite and some shots from Green Valley Raceway back in, oh, probably '78 or so.

Yeehaw! :D

Welcome from Chesapeake VA good luck with the resto!

Welcome from W. TN. It is great to bring back the cars from our past. Mine is also my first car. It helps bring back some of those old memories. Keep us posted on the progress and welcome to the forum. This is a great bunch of folks who keep it family friendly and a wealth of knowledge to share if you get into a jam.

Welcome to the fourm from another J-Code owner,

Just brought a Ram Air cleaner assembly for mine in Very Good used original condition, Was no cheap but they are very hard to find...

Welcome from coastal Alabama! I checked out your pics. Very cool car! Interesting radio delete plate.
:D

Thanks.

That radio has some, ummm, unique functions built into it....

So we've almost finished the tear down. The flickr pic album ( www.flickr.com/71jcode ) has some new shots and I'll be loading more this next week. Haven't really run into anything unexpected. The rust in the trunk floor is worse than I expected, but doesn't really change anything, one of the seat tracks on the passenger seat is pretty rough (probably try to rebuild it since it's an early 71 and they are just about unobtainable). The floor pan rust does extend into the rear, which is a bit of a disappointment. Don't know the scale tell we get done with the wire wheel. The fuel tank is clogged, of course, but we do have spark and the Holley's been rebuilt and I think we may try to fire it from the float bowl.

Toying with the idea of getting it running, color sand and polish and doing a June cruise in my own personal 'barn find' before we really rip into the project. Depends on what else we find.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's cool that you hung on to it all this time & got the inspiration to bring it back !:cool:

I fired the 429 today after a dozen or so years of slumber. That was exciting! There's a vid clip in the flickr album.

Lots of blowby. Well, not surprising.

Back