The odyssey begins (resumes?)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New video clips loaded to http://www.flickr.com/71jcode

Only got to work on it this afternoon and evening. But a very productive session. First, Scott, my favorite paint and body guy came over to assess and draw up the plan of attack for getting a decent 20-foot paint job on her so that we can make the Forest Lane re-union cruise in June.

Then my nephew John showed up. He got to work drilling spot welds out of the donor's passenger seat platform per Scott's orders.

I was busy with flushing the fuel plumbing. Got the electric pump working, installed a replaceable element fuel filter and proceeded to pump almost pure B12 through the tank and lines. Started by dumping out into a can under the tank and then extended to the engine compartment and then again to include the FPR and carb inlet lines.

When that ran free and clear, we drained everything out, ran about a gallon of gas through to waste to flush the lines, poured in about 3 gallons of fresh pump gas, hooked up the 850 Holley, set the floats with the help of the Holley fuel pump, and cranked her to life.

A little fiddling with the idle air screws and, what do you know? That beautiful, angry rumble purr of a heavily cammed 429 at 1200 RPM making music in the shop.

Warmed it up, checked the vitals. Pressure good. temps good. Ammeter was indicating alternator no-worky. Leaks non-existent except for the holey old headers. Clutch works. She was happy. Would've sat there idling away all night! That was fun!

Next project. After a lot of WD, heat and banging and prying, managed to get the rear drums free of the axles. Then it was time for a cold one or two.

Next w/e we continue the body prep for the booth and doing some brake-checks. Goal is to get both the donor and the banana's passenger seat platforms out so we can determine where to cut in the new floor patch. Also need to assess the alternator. Will be rebuilding the brakes in the back (mainly the hydraulics. The hardware and shoes look brand new. De-stripe it. Start to block sand off all the crow's footing in the rear half of the car. Get the dash out. Pull the steering wheel to work on the horn.

Some fun, now.:D

(Redundant post in 'What did you do' thread).

Today was another productive day on the CJ. Got the brake lines flushed (nasty) and the drum mechanisms entirely rebuilt. Bled the rears out and will move to the discs up front next session.

Discovered during one of our "Cmon, start it. Just wanna hear it run." sessions that the alternator decided to start charging again and the AC-Heat blower works. All speeds. :)

New pics on flickr.

Wanted to bump this up. I have been posting fairly regular progress in the 'What did you do to your car today?' thread because that seemed to be tailor made for those news items. But we crossed a major milestone last week when we threw it all back together and made a triumphant return to the Forest Lane Reunion Cruise, which was our principal goal when we woke up the 'Banana' back in February (and I OP'ed this thread) after a long sleep.

Here's my post from today. Please check out the flickr journal, too. Unfortunately you won't see many shots from the cruise itself, as we were having too much fun. But there will be more from other night's out soon.

------------------

I apologize for my infrequent posts. We've just been having too much fun. So, we got the '20 foot' paint job on. It looks GREAT from 20 feet. Definitely not show quality, but absolutely boulevard-worthy. Much better than expected with our makeshift booth and harbor freight gun (and complete amateur skills) . Got the interior back in, sorta. Still needs headliner and some attention to detail. Gassed it up and took it to the June 1 Forest Lane Reunion Cruise, where a bunch of my high school crew was waiting for the rebirth. Had a blast. Awesome to cruise the very same lane, listening to the very same songs, with some of the same friends, scaring the same old Chevies some 40 years or so since the last time we did it.

We'll be posting some fresh pics at

http://www.flickr.com/71jcode

later.

OH.. and tonight we took it to Keller's Drive In for a #5 and tater tots.

She's pretty happy, though I think I have a crack in the radiator to deal with.

Goals ratchet down from here for the summer. Get the radiator attended to, get a decent exhaust system in, shoe it with decent tires, headliner installed properly, detail engine compartment, think we also have a leaky master cylinder. Install 3.89 pumpkin.

But I plan to drive it every time I can.

Been to busy to post much.

Nice pic from yesterday:

9392486345_f6b033dc4a_z.jpg

A fresh update. Last weekend was to be another Forest Lane Reunion Cruise-In, so we put 15-20 hours color sanding and polishing, and updating the week before. Highlights: Took the valuable DOOE water pump (the seal was leaking) and orig voltage reg off and replaced with a $20 parts store replacement and the electronic flavor VR from NPD. (Anybody know someone that restores VRs)? Of a mind to pull the unobtainium original J-code stuff off (radiator, hoses, alternator) and run parts store clones just in case something bad happens while we're driving it. Sandblasted the M/T valve covers, radiator brackets, etc. Heli-coiled a couple of stripped holes here and there. Put the original (but cracked) fan shroud back on. Finished the new exhaust back to the axle, where we just dumping down for now. It's gonna take a visit to the muffler shop to get the final 2.5" plumbing correct around the staggered shock setup. Car sounds a heck of lot better (quieter). Returned the battery back to the tray in front (had been in a box in the trunk).

Car is running pretty sweetly now. Fires up instantly and will idle all day long once it's warm.

And then - wouldn't you know it? - it rained all night saturday, washing out the cruise. So my crew came to the shop instead where much fun ensued. Cruise has been re-scheduled for Nov 16.

Fresh pics have been posted on the flickr page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back