Theft deterrence while trailering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I am planning to head out this wkend to purchase a 71 Mach I and trailer it home.  It will require one overnight stay on the trip back.  I am thinking of cable locking the car to the trailer, locking the trailer hitch, and putting some type of motion alarm on the vehicle for overnight.  Does anyone have recommendations?  I looked up the crime stats for the area the hotel is in and it seems like a lower than normal crime rate.  Am I being paranoid?  I wasn't sure where this should be placed so if admin needs to move it......

That's what I've done, chain and lock on the rear axle and lock the trailer. I also padlock the safety chain and have a 3' chunk of small chain that I connect to a bolt on the hood and padlock it around anything handy behind the front valance.

It is always a chance someone will steal anything. I would talk to the hotel manager and see if he will let you park in front also. If not find a corner that you can back into to trap the trailer in. Lock the trailer up like you plan. 

I am going to get 4 sections of the plastic coated chain to put through my 1973 factory aluminum wheels and go around suspension and lock them on. It cost a fortune for for of the original Goodyear RWL and to get the wheels looking good.

The suggestion on the chain on the hood is also good. When I got married I took one of the bicycle locks looped over the lock rod on the hood and then around the center grill bracket to keep them from putting sardines on the engine. 

I do not think they ever recovered any of the 4 or 5 vehicles stolen in the Power Tour when in Charlotte this year. I think all had alarms and one even took the steering wheel off and still took it. 

Some of the new wreckers they have you can be gone in seconds no matter what you do.

They had an armed police guard at the Mustang Owner's Museum the whole time the Bullitt Mustang was there.

Probably the only reason (Hanging from hood :) the original engine or at the very least, the original ram air set up was still on the car when I purchased it...

I had not thought to secure hood so I bought another chain. Will have to wrap it myself I guess. O r could cut the end off of a rifle sock? Thx for closing me in on that. And it will be an open trailer. Renting from uhaul. Sold my enclosed trailer

You know I talked with guy that just bought a NOS ram air system complete for $700 it was on Craigslist if I am not wrong. Just missing the snorkel which is same on all. BTW no sticker on the lid on ram air just the Ram Air on the hood.  You have to keep eyes open.
That is why I have two lids for the restored car... One with a sticker and one without (as it would have came from the factory). Depends on the show...  :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
how about this one.... harbor freight has driveway alarms. put one somewhere hidden but will easily sense the movement of the car. the alarm is in your room at the window. my alarm is about 100ft away from my house and works fine if someone comes down the driveway. on sale is around 10 bucks not on sale is like 15$.

Back