GPS tracking devices who do I pick???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Ok since I am going to several bigger shows this year with enclosed trailer and my 12,000 mile 73 mach 1 I wanted to put tracking devices in both. In 2018 when I was in Charlotte I think 4 vehicles in the Hot Rod tour were stolen and none were recovered. One had taken the steering wheel of and was in his room.
Yes I will do the normal of lock in the hitch of the trailer and kill everything in the car but a real thief does not care about that they can go take it anyway. Car will be inside in display so not sitting in a hotel lot.
There are so many out there any real experience with any of them? Cost for multiple units? How big? Battery life? How often do they report location? I will have insurance but this car could not be replaced there is not another with 41 options.
BTW it is costing about double the original cost of the car to just attend the show. How times have changed. Will be in the Ponies in the Smokies later this month and looks like the Mustang Owner's Museum is cancelled due to North Carolina sanctions. Then June will be in Carlisle, Penn for inside display. Will be no overnights in transport.
Looks like the yearly service is best but do not know who to go with. What do you have????? Not a tech savy guy for sure.

Might be worth hiring a security guard to watch it when you aren't there

On the gps  tracking there are several basic types.  Think of them as either passive or active.  A passive device is in the sleep state until it is pinged and then reports back it's location.  These are the least expensive and most of these units have internal battery.  The battery life is anywhere from a few hours to (edited 1 to 2 years) before needing a recharge or replaced. Some of these units can be power by a external source.  Most of these will have a service fee attached to them.  This is a little different then a monthly fee. 

Active units are ones that report there location real time or at certain time intervals which can be anywhere from minutes to hours in between.  Some of these units will dump their info once per day but can be pinged to find their location whenever you want to.  Active units have a monthly fee attached to them. Most but not all require a external power source and some have a backup internal battery  that will send an alert if the main power source is disconnected.

The upper end monthly plans can include alerts that will automatically call a provided phone number if the unit is moved.  They can also include geo fencing where you set boundary around an area on a map and it will send an alert if the unit goes outside of that area. As far as manufacturers go there are about a dozen major players that provide the chips for the rest of the industry. 

I would consider talking to your local cell phone provider and see if they offer any vehicle tracking devices before going out and purchasing one.  Some of the cell phone companies offer them for a minimum fee.  You can also check with your insurance company.  They may have a program available. Companies such as Trimble, Qualcomm and Topcon offer them but they are more geared for the fleet user.  If you do go out into the general market place I would try to stay away from the units that require annual contracts.  To many fly by night companies in the industry.  l Hope this helps a little.    

Last edited by a moderator:
On the gps  tracking there are several basic types.  Think of them as either passive or active.  A passive device is in the sleep state until it is pinged and then reports back it's location.  These are the least expensive and most of these units have internal battery.  The battery life is anywhere from a few hours to 3 to 4 days before needing a recharge. Some of these units can be power by a external source.  Most of these will have a service fee attached to them.  This is a little different then a monthly fee. 

Active units are ones that report there location real time or at certain time intervals which can be anywhere from minutes to hours in between.  Some of these units will dump their info once per day but can be pinged to find their location whenever you want to.  Active units have a monthly fee attached to them. Most but not all require a external power source and some have a backup internal battery  that will send an alert if the main power source is disconnected.

The upper end monthly plans can include alerts that will automatically call a provided phone number if the unit is moved.  They can also include geo fencing where you set boundary around an area on a map and it will send an alert if the unit goes outside of that area. As far as manufacturers go there are about a dozen major players that provide the chips for the rest of the industry. 

I would consider talking to your local cell phone provider and see if they offer any vehicle tracking devices before going out and purchasing one.  Some of the cell phone companies offer them for a minimum fee.  You can also check with your insurance company.  They may have a program available. Companies such as Trimble, Qualcomm and Topcon offer them but they are more geared for the fleet user.  If you do go out into the general market place I would try to stay away from the units that require annual contracts.  To many fly by night companies in the industry.  l Hope this helps a little.    
Do you have any examples of passive devices?

Do you have any examples of passive devices?
I've been retired and out of the industry for the past 3 years.  One of my fellow ex co workers recommended the below website which offers a wide range of units at reasonable pricing.  If you look at the top of their page you will  see the different categories.  The one that says Trailer GPS Tracking would be a passive or on demand type.  The one listed for Cars is also a on demand type but also gives one update per day and offers additional features such as geofencing, start disable and tow alert.  They also offer a internal battery only model for cars that will not drain the car battery if the car is sitting for a long time.  These report less and there battery life is dependent on how often you ping them.  If you look at the Fleet model these are active or real time models.  These report in real time at set time increments.  You can see the vehicle moving on the map.  These types of units can report speed, ignition on/off, idle time, oil pressure and other events. Some companies offer units with a set number of preprogramed switches  and then offer an additional number of user programable switches for user selected events.   Think of a  "switch" as the wiring of a relay or any other type of contact or solenoid that when it closes, opens or engages it will cause the gps unit to report the "event" associated to that switch.  

Home - GPS Tracking (gpsandtrack.com) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well darn I had just ordered on Amazon. I went this morning and upped my tag to a Weighted tag with 13,000 lb. limit. Trailer they said would be 3,200 and not sure on car 3,800?? The shipped weight of the truck I think the tag office 4,655 lbs.
When I got back was looking at the tracking devices and order two of this one. One for the trailer and one for the car. Got on of the extra battery life cases.
https://www.amazon.com/Real-time-Tracker-Worldwide-Coverage-Portable/dp/B07N4DHFZM/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M4RYQEKP0W6RHHGBJZW8
The lock I have for trailer hitch is the Reese one that plugs the ball hole and goes across the top. I also have two chains that will chain the wheels together. The Piegon Forge trailer lot is locked so no issue there and car is inside with guards at night.
Someone asked about insurance. I have had no insurance in 38 years but will have to for the shows they require you to have insurance. I forgot to ask the tag office about a Transporter tag. That way you do not pay taxes on the cars and do not have to have insurance either. Lots of car collectors here do that. Saves them tens of thousands of dollars a year. Here when you go get a tag you have to pay the property taxes no tag no taxes. Like a dealer tag but good in any state and for transporting vehicles. The car in the picture has one, Transporter tag. He has bunch of cars. That 73 Mach 1, 60's T-Bird, Dodge Challenger, 62 Ford galaxie vert, Cobra kit car and others.
So look at the info on the tracker and if not good can always send back. Does not look like it will be here before the show but they always give a delivery date and I seem to always get days sooner. They just want you to go with the Prime thing. I figured to use the bigger battery case on the car for more battery life.
It is amazing how many get stolen especially at hotels. They always say stay at a B & B with off street parking if you can.
While in the line for tag a Sheriff parks a short way off and the line is outside of course they only let two people in at a time. Then a Police car shows up. The Sheriff Deputy walks over to the line and pulls a guy out about 8 behind me and arrested him for not appearing in court. How he saw him I will never know. Maybe a tip as to where he was.

DSC_0623 - Copy.JPG

Latest posts

Back