Thinking about buying another one - advice needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
I'm thinking about selling my 71 M 4-speed car because I have no real need for it. It is just a fun car while I work on the others. Irregardless of getting another car I think I will sell it.

I have the Excursion and like it a lot! It is the true family car when we all go somewhere and it is the tow vehicle when we go on vacation to the keys each year. I wouldn't mind driving it as my daily but that sucker costs between $2-5k every time it breaks (diesel engine) and $100 oil changes every 5k miles so we try to drive it only when needed. when it is in the shop it's usually there for several days if not weeks and we have to then take two cars everywhere.

I drive the Volvo V70 wagon as my daily but it only seats 5 so the family can't all fit (5 kids still at home) but it is a great road car and gets 27mpg. Remember I drive a lot with work...a road warrior if you will.

I love old Fords and I think the old Ford wagons are cool. So what if I sell the 71 M-code 4speed Mach 1, sell the Volvo wagon, buy the car below and swap in an AOD to get 21-22 mpg and use this as my daily?

Here's the ad:

1972 Grand Torino Sport Wagon - Rare Factory Options - $4200

Rare & loaded with options!!! Drive it anywhere! Hookup your "Silver Airstream" & go camping!!!

Wimbledon white, ginger (tan) interior

351 2/bbl Cleveland

C4 auto

9" 3.00 posi rear

PS

PDB

AC (missing compressor)

PW

power back window

power 6 way bench seat

power door locks

remote sport mirrors

tach & gauges

rim blow steering wheel

swing away/fold down rear cargo door

ram air hood

dual exhaust

magnum 500 wheels 14" and includes mag 500 spare (new tires)

roof rack

3rd row seat facing backwards

00k0k_a5xvkiEpaeW_600x450.jpg

00c0c_b8AFNhPYRmC_600x450.jpg

00e0e_jelUVpkplnJ_600x450.jpg

00s0s_8aCdEJ48jKZ_600x450.jpg

00t0t_2nSXZJNFhHq_600x450.jpg

00T0T_b72rureJxL_600x450.jpg

00w0w_aegUNw4tIrJ_600x450.jpg

00q0q_gI28SjI0Pvy_600x450.jpg

The owner is a car guy and has pointed out all the flaws to the minute detail. He put 9,000 miles on it last year and says it is very dependable. I would want to swap out the C4 and put in an AOD to get better mpgs. It would be like driving to work on my sofa and having tail gunner seats for the kids. :D

What do you think?

Don,

I like the look of that car and you don't see many of them around anymore. I almost purchased a Gran Torino Sport before I bought my Mach. I think that what you have planned for it would be cool and meet your needs at the same time.

-jbojo

It seems like a good approach to me!

I know what you mean about family rides. While we only have one child at home, we pretty much use the First Lady's Lincoln MKT as the family vehicle as that sucker seats 7 with no problem, has a built in frige, gets GREAT gas mileage, and is a true "touring: vehicle.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong as long as you keep your vehicle purchases in the Ford, Lincoln, Mercury families:).

BT

Plus it will reduce the insurance premium by one car. Probably a moot point though because it will use more fuel than the Volvo. Doing this plan would also clear a spot in the driveway...Yay! The more I think about this the more I like it.

Only hiccup is that my lovely bride thinks the old station wagons are ugly...and that I'm crazy for wanting one. She is all for the extra spot in the driveway though.

Well, if that you get that car Don at least your kids will be asleep. The rear facing backseats would knock kids out from the carbon monoxide fumes.

Don, very nice car , if it meets your needs go for it as they are hard to find now and a great vehicle to pack the family in for an outing.

Cool car, been trying to talk the wife into buying an old wagon to travel.
Me too. Mine really doesn't care too much what I buy but she gives me a strange look when I show her muscle car wagon pics. I think she has an aversion to Da Wag which is what I'm thinking should go on the tag. ;)

Only hiccup is that my lovely bride thinks the old station wagons are ugly...and that I'm crazy for wanting one. She is all for the extra spot in the driveway though.
Park that thing next to a Volvo, though, and you can see that they are way cool. Methinks your lady needs a trip to the eye doctor. ;-)

Ron

Holy crap! A family car wagon with a Cleveland? I think it's a fantastic idea! :)
That's what I'm saying! It is an H-code 2v with a C4, 3.00 Trac-Loc rear. The only thing that would make it better is if it had 4v heads...oh wait, I have a coupe of extra pairs of those in my garage. ;)

So I could drive the Excursion as my driver or buy and drive the Torino wagon full time to keep the wear and tear on the X limited to pulling other cars I find to tow home. :D

2005-Ford-Excursion1.jpg

Vs.

00k0k_a5xvkiEpaeW_600x450.jpg

Just wanted to see them both together.

That's a very cool Torino wagon, snap it up Don at $4,200.00, if you don't, pass the seller on to me, that's a rare muscle wagon with attitude. My Golden Retriever would love all that space.

Jim

Dang Don! You've been reading my mind! I've been toying with the idea of getting a fish mouth Gran Torino wagon after the Mustang is done. I've also thought about finding a 72 Mercury Montego wagon and turning it in to Montego GT. Great minds think alike! :cool:

If the second row seat folds down, there'll be enough room for you and the wife to grow a few more kids.

Buy it; it is a great vehicle for the price.

Back