This sucks...broken down & stranded in Birmingham

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother has the v10 version ...He has put millions of miles on it...I got to say...That ford v10 turned out too be a long lasting motor....And gets decent gas milage at 65mph....he has got around 20mpg long as he hyper miles..Not bad for gas motor and 4x4..lol... That sucks to be broke down thou....Been there too many times.

My brother has the v10 version ...He has put millions of miles on it...I got to say...That ford v10 turned out too be a long lasting motor....And gets decent gas milage at 65mph....he has got around 20mpg long as he hyper miles..Not bad for gas motor and 4x4..lol... That sucks to be broke down thou....Been there too many times.
I've said it before at the last beakdown that I wish mine was the v10...but never really meant it. I love the power and economy of a diesel. I've gotten 22mpg once going from Mobile to San Antonio and back to Houston before I needed to fillup. That was hand calculated filling to the brim when I left MOB and to the rim in H-town.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it before at the last beakdown that I wish mine was the v10...but never really meant it. I love the power and economy of a diesel. I've gotten 22mpg once going from Mobile to San Antonio and back to Houston before I needed to fillup. That was hand calculated filling to the brim when I left MOB and to the rim in H-town.
Ohh ya..diesel is what i would choose too..lol...Heck even the mini datsun diesel truck we had got a amazing 40 to 45 mpg.....With over 500,000 miles on it before we got rid of it...lol..Its impossible to beat there gas mileage and towing power...but somtimes you get a bad one....And i have to say..For a gas motor...the ford v10 realy stands up good for a gas truck motor...lol..Strong and powerfull puller

UPDATE.

I fired the first shop. They lied to me and that doesn't ever go well for the liar. So the first tow truck / shop said they could fix it in a day. I hired a second tow truck and got it in route. I then told the first to step away from my truck and prepare my bill. The second tow arrived and the first shop guys almost jumped the second tow truck guys. I thought they were going to come to blows or shots or who knows what. I had just dialed 911 when the first guys finally took steps back toward their shop. Where's Discovery Channel?...they could have had a great trailer for a Tow Truck Wars show.

So we got the X to a specialized diesel shop and within an hour had a diagnosis. Bad high pressure oil pump. The injectors are oil fired at some ridiculously high psi. The HPOP was putting out about 500 psi vs something like 18,000 needed psi. The turbo also got toasted due to no or low oil flow to lubricate it. A new turbo is $1200. :dodgy:

The good news is the shop guy said he would stay late tonight and get it done tonight. I said go home...one more day isn't going to matter. Hopefully we go home tomorrow, hopefully.

Your very trusting I would like a second opinion on the new Turbo.
I didn't say I believed him & will be at the shop to verify his findings in the morning. ;)

On the bright side I saw a shop that caters to classic cars and stopped in. The owner had several cool cars underway and has a 71 vert they are doing. They are transplanting a Roush 06 drivetrain, interior and dash into for a customer. Cool stuff. I'll post some pics when I get to a real computer.

Sorry to hear about your excursion. Is $1200 for the turbo installed? Hopefully tomorrow brings a little better news.

Don,

You are weathering this event very well. I can't say I would do the same. I've learned a lot more about diesels, no doubt.

Hang in there and thanks for sharing.

You deserve a cold one for all this! OK Maybe more than one! LOL

::beer::

Ray

Don,

Praying the repairs go well for you today and you can get the family back on the road. Sorry to hear the first shop was running you around. Looks like you have maintained your cool for the most part through this difficult experience. I guess we get that from working on our cars knowing things don't always go right the first time. Take care and hopefully safe travels.

Don,

Hoping the best for you and your family. Following your posts we can all relate and are pulling for you. It's great of your wife's friend to allow all of you to camp out in their livingroom, it's times like this when you find out who your real friends are.

Jim

Your kids will have a great story when they get back to school and write their "What I Did On Summer Vacation" story!

Hope all goes well tomorrow!

Thanks for all the well wishes. Sometimes life happens and its our job to make the best of it. Good friends both in B'ham and on here make it much better when it does happen.

Today we could have been on the road earlier this evening but I got a case of while you're in there... So the shop is putting on a turbo and high press oil pump as the repair and 8 new injectors, an oil change, and a Bully Dog programmer as the extra. The shop owner said he woulds stay late tonight and put it all in. I said go home; I'll pick it up at lunch if that's enough time for him to finish up & go on a tire roasting test drive with me by then. He said no problem to the time and the tire roasting. Just think...a 10,000 lb vehicle that can roast em. :d The claim is both 100+ more hp & torque with that tuner. I plan to try it out, just call me Roy Jr.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Sometimes life happens and its our job to make the best of it. Good friends both in B'ham and on here make it much better when it does happen.

Today we could have been on the road earlier this evening but I got a case of while you're in there... So the shop is putting on a turbo and high press oil pump as the repair and 8 new injectors, an oil change, and a Bully Dog programmer as the extra. The shop owner said he woulds stay late tonight and put it all in. I said go home; I'll pick it up at lunch if that's enough time for him to finish up & go on a tire roasting test drive with me by then. He said no problem to the time and the tire roasting. Just think...a 10,000 lb vehicle that can roast em. :d The claim is both 100+ more hp & torque with that tuner. I plan to try it out, just call me Roy Jr.
Just remember

:worthlesswithoutpics:

I believe it. I have a customer that frequents our shop and he has done a lot to his 7.3. He just upgraded his hi psi pump and adjusted the tune (he has banks) and told me it was a lot more sensitive on the throttle. And got 2 more MPG!

Back