tilt steering help.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Hello everyone,

Some days I'm my own worst nightmare!!! Here is my problem: A while ago I tore my tilt steering colmun apart to replace the turn signal in my 73 Mach 1. Well while I had it all apart I remember a spring or something popping out. I spent 3 days looking for what ever came out and could not find it. So i finish the switch replacement and now my tilt is all screwed up. Does anyone have a exploded drawing or part numbers of whats all in the tilt column so I can redo this, or even better anyone ever tore one all the way down to rebuild it. Its really sucks to drive the car and need to get it fixed. Thank you in advance

Travis

Hi Travis,

Here is an exploded view of the 1973 tilt column - I imagine they are similar for other years. Good like finding your missing piece! I have had that kind of thing happen to me - very frustrating! Click on the image to enlarge. Let me know if you need additional info. I have a tilt column but have not had it apart.

10rtyys.jpg

if you pull the tilt lever, does the wheel just fall down? I have done lots of these, I just need more info to help you.
The lever has not resistance to it. I can pull the column down with out using the lever and it just clicks or grinds. The lever does nothing when I pull it. That is why I'm thinking I lost the spring or something. I'm just kicking myself over this......

Steve73QMach1

Perfect that what I was looking for!!! After looking at the picture it looks like I lost the spring that goes to the wire bail.. That would be my first guess and I don't see a part number so I maybe on the hunt of a lifetime trying to find that if thats what is truely wrong with it... Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck on finding the spring.

On a similar note, anyone know where I can get a 3E543 wire bale retainer clip?

One of mine broke.

OK, under the T/S switch there should be a round plug, that has a square hole in the center. That is the retainer for the spring. Now, that is a very powerful spring, if it had jumped out, you would know it. That keeps tension on the gears that hold your tilt in position.

You can e-mail me the video [email protected]

Alright I'm have almost got this figured out... Sorry its taken so long to reply but I had to go to texas for a week. So I tore down the column and figured out why the tilt didn't work. The pin holding the locking lever was hanging out. So i got it back in and the tilt is now solid, but now i have a new problem. I can't get the bail wire to work the tilt. The bail wire clips are tore up and destoryed and need new ones along with the bail wire spring and collar. Anyone know where I can get them? See attached picture I have them marked in red...

10rtyys.jpg

okay next question... (I have the plunger and spring ordered) Do I need just the wire bail retainer clip on the top of the wire bail and the bottom is free floating? Or do I need one for the bottom also... Never mind reread all the post and got it... Thanks everyone. I should have a tilt column that works like it was designed by the end of the week... On to replacing the gear box.......

Alright I'm have almost got this figured out... Sorry its taken so long to reply but I had to go to texas for a week. So I tore down the column and figured out why the tilt didn't work. The pin holding the locking lever was hanging out. So i got it back in and the tilt is now solid, but now i have a new problem. I can't get the bail wire to work the tilt. The bail wire clips are tore up and destoryed and need new ones along with the bail wire spring and collar. Anyone know where I can get them? See attached picture I have them marked in red...
Dexleo2,

I have a 71 mach 1 that I installed a tilt column in. I purchased it as a rebuilt unit. Does the tilt column use a different turn signal arm than a stock column?

As of now, my column is locked in a lowered position. I need to figure out how to install the turn signal arm.

Back