Tilt steering: rewiring '73 column to '71-72 car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoArts

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Sportsroof
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop (sold after 20 years)
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA
So, here I am plodding along with my '71 redo. Many years ago I bought a tilt column to exchange for the fixed unit. Old column is out, and of course I check for compatibility... curved plug is different, bigger... and progress screeches to a halt.

Tilt column is what I assume is a '73. Sigh :-/

I do not know the condition of any components... tilt mech, switches, etc. The upper cast aluminum collar has some dings from shipping the part to me, which adds to the effort required to make this piece work for me.

I understand that the guts can be swapped, plugs rewired and so on, but how much of a PITA is it?

Anybody have a step by step how-to?

Or does anybody have a '71-72 column to swap for my '73?

I just re-pinned a 73 harness to fit a 72 tilt column for a customer; it's not all that hard. Just cut the wires from a 73 underdash harness and splice them in. The 73 turn signal connector branch of the harness has longer wires than the 72, though.

Great, thank you.

The turn signal is the square connector? I'm not home to check.

Nope...the turn signal connector is the curved connector. The square one is your ignition switch connector.

Back