Tilt Steering Column Conversion and a New Wheel for the 73 Mustang!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another step forward on the Mustang Project!

This video covers the install of a Flaming River tilt steering column and Cascade steering wheel in ol' Large Marge.

Since we are going with the Wilwood brake and clutch pedal assembly and that has to be mounted in a very specific spot on the firewall...it was time to get the steering column mounted into the car. After assessing the years of abuse to the stock column, I decided against restoring it. Besides, I really wanted a tilt column in the Mustang anyway for a better driving position.

So I ordered a 32" paint-able steel column from Flaming River, the very cool mounting adapter that enables you to bolt it to your stock support location under the dash, a very cool Cascade wheel and the adapter to mate that wheel to the column.

I even used the stock firewall through mount with a small home made adapter for the new column. The install was really easy and all of the parts look great.

Next up is the installation of the Wilwood pedals and then the Total Control Products rack and pinion. Then I'll show how to connect the new column to the steering rack.

Thanks for watching!

That... was awesome. I'm just wondering if there's a list of parts required to make this happen. The bracket was a big thing, but the other things to consider are:

• Steering coupler - use the original rag-joint, or is there some kind of adapter offered?
  • Wiring Harness - does the column come with the proper connector for the ignition and signal switch?
  • Does the column need to be lengthened or shortened to match up with the stock steering gear box?
  • How does the ignition switch eliminator work - using a push-button start isn't tough, but some kind of switching system would still be needed to turn the car "On" to energize the ignition switch. I know not having the key or some other kind of 'security' feature would be a little scary, IMHO.

I know you are probably going with a completely different steering set-up [from the stock gear box], but theoretically if the column has an adapter that will match-up with the stock box, and the aftermarket steering solution you are most likely running will match up with the stock column, then it should all work together. :chin:

Thanks for sharing this information - I would appreciate any further information you can provide, as I'm VERY interested in going with an aftermarket tilt column.

That... was awesome. I'm just wondering if there's a list of parts required to make this happen. The bracket was a big thing, but the other things to consider are:

• Steering coupler - use the original rag-joint, or is there some kind of adapter offered?
  • Wiring Harness - does the column come with the proper connector for the ignition and signal switch?
  • Does the column need to be lengthened or shortened to match up with the stock steering gear box?
  • How does the ignition switch eliminator work - using a push-button start isn't tough, but some kind of switching system would still be needed to turn the car "On" to energize the ignition switch. I know not having the key or some other kind of 'security' feature would be a little scary, IMHO.

I know you are probably going with a completely different steering set-up [from the stock gear box], but theoretically if the column has an adapter that will match-up with the stock box, and the aftermarket steering solution you are most likely running will match up with the stock column, then it should all work together. :chin:

Thanks for sharing this information - I would appreciate any further information you can provide, as I'm VERY interested in going with an aftermarket tilt column.
Sure thing on the parts numbers:

Tilt column FR20005 (I did a key delete and GM plug to fit my aftermarket wiring harness but you can order this in almost any configuration like stock... with key, Ford plug and floor shift)

*Factory Drop FR20114 (this is the part that makes it bolt up in your stock location)

Adapter for the Wheel FR20160AD

In a future video I'll show how I'm going to go from the DD shaft at the bottom of the column to the steering box but there are kits to replace the stock rag joint or convert it to a steel universal joint (which is my preference).

Best of luck to you!

Hey Thanks Man! I'm looking forward to your video! ::thumb::

When I turned the steering wheel, and the factory rag joint ripped itself apart (granted, it was 'only' 39 years old at the time) I knew I would want something less prone to failure.

Back