To Repaint or not to Repaint!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

I am seeking all forum member's advice or opinions if you like, on whether to repaint my '73 Mustang convertible, or not.

A little background if i may. My car would be best described as an original, very tidy, well looked after vechicle in very good condition, when i bought it in mid 2011. The Mustang was a base model from factory with 302 engine. It had a genuine 45000 miles on the clock, and had been a carefull one owner from 1973 to 2009. I would have sunk around $20,000 Aus into upgrades and improvements since i purchased the car. No rust by the way, and the factory color was Gold Glow metallic.

So getting to the paintwork - when i bought the car, all the paintwork was factory original except for someone who had refinished the two front fenders at some point in time.(no accident damage there BTW) I have since replaced the standard hood with a new aftermarket Nasa one.(bad fit and line up by the way:mad: - i think it was a Dynacrap) So, as it stands now, from the two doors back is original paint and the rest refinished.

I'm happy to say, that other than a few chips and scratches and some very small minor dents, the original paint is in very good condition. (dents can be pushed of course). So here's the question. Should i leave the car as is, and not respray her, or should i get stuck in and do the job. BTW, i'm a pro spraypainter, and would be doing all the work myself at home, thus saving a motza on the job. Materials i pay for of course.

People have told me so far, that it's better to leave the car as is for maxi resale value and so called 'originality' appeal, and some on the other hand have warned me that if i did respray her, i had better do a first class top job to hold the appeal and value. I would do that, but that would make the job very labor intensive to say the least. The job would require a strip and repaint to deliver the goods. It also must be said that if i did respray the car, that would never add any extra value to the vehicle from what it's worth now, because the money i've sunk into her so far has taken me way above what i could get if i tried to sell her on today's market here in Australia. I paid $30,000 Aus when i bought the car, and i'd be flat out asking $40 grand for it now, and getting it. I would however, end up with a georgous looking, spot on car. People have also added that i could command more money when it comes time to sell, by keeping the car with it's original paintwork left as is. BTW, it is not my intention to sell the car for the forseeable future.

From 10 feet away, the car looks very tidy and desirable,and i receive many compliments on how she looks overall, but on closer examination you can see the minor imperfections. It's hard to know what to do in this sort of situation i guess, so any advice would be much appreciated.I suppose it revolves around how important this 'original thing' or concept is to people or perspective buyers in the future.The general consensus from feedback so far is to leave the car's paintwork untouched and as is. What do you think? Aussie member feeedback would be welcomed here too.

If you demand photos of the car, i can post them on later, but i think my description above tells the story pretty well.

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg you would be flat out trying to get what it's worth anyway here in Aus. The markets flat now anyway .So if she is a keeper I would go all in for fresh paint. Given it's your trade who better to trust to get it right then yourself. Looks nice now can only look better with a respray. Just My 2 Bobs worth

As they say it's only original once! Keeping it original gives you bragging rights and would put you in the unrestored class for MCA judging (not sure what judging classes you have downunder). My 73 convert was all original until 2010, but the paint was so thin with some surface rust forming I decided to strip it down and redo the whole body.

So a hard decision for you!

UNRESTORED: This type of car usually has low miles on it and is factory original in good condition. It won’t be perfect, as judges expect some normal wear over the years. Imperfections such as a broken tail light would not be considered normal wear. As such, an owner in this class would lose points in such an instance.

Greg,

I would go for the repaint myself since your car has had the two front fenders refinished already at some point and you have a different hood on it. The only thing left original is the doors, trunk, and rear quarters. Take the time and get the the little dings taken care, replace that hood if the fit bothers you, and shoot some modern paint in the original color on the car. I think you will be happier driving it around when its done and it won't be a ten foot car anymore!

At this point the "original paint" is no longer an issue, if it ever was. If you are in the car painting business and you are willing to do the detailed prep work, there is no reason not to re-paint the vehicle. Just an opinion. Chuck

It depends on the car you want. I'd say if you repaint, do the original hood as well. That way you can always swap it back and except for the paint, it's original.

It comes down to a handful of things:

1. You are a professional painter, so a new paint job would be done right, and you would have both the satisfaction of having 'done it right,' and enjoy the benefits of using it as a 'calling card' (if you will) for potential future jobs.

2. You're not planning on reselling it, so who cares what its monetary value is? If the nicks and dings bother you, then repaint it. If they're liveable - keep enjoying it and come back to this point when you can't stand it anymore.

3. In your neck of the woods, I think there is less demand for an absolutely perfect "original" car than disdain for a poorly done restoration. If you were to find yourself selling it some day, I'm sure you'd still command top dollar as whatever's been done that's 'not original' was still done right. Nobody's going to pull a Marti Report on your car and tell you what is or isn't "authorized" on your car - they're only going to see a damn nice '73 Mustang convertible and let the compliments flow.

4. The time you'll have it 'down' for the repaint will kill you. You'll be wanting to take it for a spin one day and remember, "Oh yeah... it's not all back together yet." That's the only real down side to the whole deal, if you ask me. But - if your "winter" season is like ours, you might not drive it as much anyway, so you could knock it out and have it ready for the next "top-down" season.

Bottom line: you have an awesome car! If you choose to repaint it, it will only be that much better. If you hold off for now, you get to enjoy it just that much more.

Win-Win if you ask me.

Greg Eric touched on a good point total originality is never that big a consideration here in Aus for American cars especially our cars so dollar wise probably no different. If it was a xy gt Monaro or torana then you would want it stock. Your call mate

Eric no real winter season where we live if anything winter is better than summer for cruising,nowhere near as hot and less rain

Thanks very much guys for all your feedback so far. You all make very good points for sure. The main consensus so far favoures to repaint the car when i feel like doing it.

Your advice will help me very much to eventually make up my mind on which way i go. Luke's comment on originality in Aus for American cars is interesting.

I would have thought it counted for a lot myself.

Eric, yes, i can drive my car all year 'round here, because the winters are fairly mild.

Yes guys, i always felt that when the new hood went on and the two front fenders were refinished, the car lost it's true overall originality.Looking at the money side of the story alone, i guess it doesn't really matter if i respray her, because from what you're saying, i won't get the big asking price come time to sell in the condition that the paintwork is in now anyway.

Many thanks again guys, and i'll give it more thought.

I have gathered from some of your other posts thru the past year or so you have an extensive experience in automotive painting. I have around 7 full time years so what I am about to say you may be able to relate to more than most. With the new types of clears that are now being used it is such a good feeling when looking into a deep deep gloss of a well painted and detailed automotive finish. I personally find it very rewarding when you have personally applied the paint and the end result is stunning. I can Imagine that every time you walk over to take her for a drive thinking to yourself, "Man thats a great looking deep gloss". Its something thats hard to get with a 40 year old paint job and I think it would make your driving experience that much more rewarding. So I say repaint, take your time and make them all envious of the paint job on that sweet looking car.

I have gathered from some of your other posts thru the past year or so you have an extensive experience in automotive painting. I have around 7 full time years so what I am about to say you may be able to relate to more than most. With the new types of clears that are now being used it is such a good feeling when looking into a deep deep gloss of a well painted and detailed automotive finish. I personally find it very rewarding when you have personally applied the paint and the end result is stunning. I can Imagine that every time you walk over to take her for a drive thinking to yourself, "Man thats a great looking deep gloss". Its something thats hard to get with a 40 year old paint job and I think it would make your driving experience that much more rewarding. So I say repaint, take your time and make them all envious of the paint job on that sweet looking car.
Thank's Go Time,

you make some very good points there.

Greg just to clarify my comment re originality. If you where talking Hemi cars,stage 1 buicks LS6 chevelles boss 9 any of the legend supercars,yes originality would be a strong positive. Look at lesser cars for sale all have been modified to some degree. I went hunting a Malibu not that long ago stockers cost about the same as the modified stuff and I would of got breaks that work bulk HP new wheels and tyres good pipes etc etc. i feel this is the case for most aussie car enthusiasts you see 100 hotties for every stocker even if they where stock at ime of purchase . Now if your fine car was a 429 I'd say leave it

Greg just to clarify my comment re originality. If you where talking Hemi cars,stage 1 buicks LS6 chevelles boss 9 any of the legend supercars,yes originality would be a strong positive. Look at lesser cars for sale all have been modified to some degree. I went hunting a Malibu not that long ago stockers cost about the same as the modified stuff and I would of got breaks that work bulk HP new wheels and tyres good pipes etc etc. i feel this is the case for most aussie car enthusiasts you see 100 hotties for every stocker even if they where stock at ime of purchase . Now if your fine car was a 429 I'd say leave it
Fair enough Luke, and thanks for that!

Austin Vert,

Go Time makes a valid point in his response and so does Luke. The two stage paint process offers better UV protection and that Shine!! Not good news on the fitment of the NASA hood. Please add pictures of your finished paint job when you are done.

mustang7173

Greg,

I struggled with this too. I have a 73 H code vert with original brown ext/int and white top. I messed up and should have held out for an original red car but after a year of looking at sh#! I found this clean rust free car. I'm doing a complete color change. Red ext, black int, black top. Even if I got an original red the performance mods 4r70w, limited slip, spoiler, ram air(not common on verts) would have changed it. I figured the color I paint it(resale red) would make up for the colar change from brown. My feeling is the new paint will more the make up for not being original.

Jim

With the front being repainted, original is out the window. I don't know what's available where you are, but single stage is still acquirable here, and if repainted "as original" then the hit will be diminished considerably. I would make it what I wanted anyway unless it was an extremely rare car.

Back