Torsion Bars Trunk Convertible - dealer added spoiler too heavy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi guys,

my fathers vert has a dealer added spoiler on the trunk. It was and is too heavy to hold up on itself so what could we do? He has the original one torsion bar. Add another one? But which one? It seems there are several different out there and they are not that interchangeable as you could think...

Gesendet von meinem E6633 mit Tapatalk

Add another coupe/convertible torsion rod.
Thanks, that sounds reasonable :D 

But how to identify them - what are the differences? Most of them advertised simply as trunk torsion bars but without verified body type...

Edit:

Does that mean Coupe and Convertible are the same style?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look like too many are out there on the net. Maybe check with Mike or Don to see if they have one in a parts car.
Yes, that's where I have been looking before asking - it is not that everyday-part on ebay... Thanks for checking, too ::thumb:: 

Will have a call on them!

Doesn't look like too many are out there on the net. Maybe check with Mike or Don to see if they have one in a parts car.
Yes, that's where I have been looking before asking - it is not that everyday-part on ebay... Thanks for checking, too ::thumb:: 

Same year Cougars used two trunk torsion bars. They are getting harder to find. I installed two on my 73 vert. There are a few post on the forum about using two bars.

Here is the previous thread on Torsion bar installation... https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-...rsion-bars

Same year Cougars used two trunk torsion bars. They are getting harder to find. I installed two on my 73 vert. There are a few post on the forum about using two bars.

Here is the previous thread on Torsion bar installation... https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-...rsion-bars
Thank you, Rich!

Do a search on the forum. I did a post on installing the torsion bar. People have got hurt doing that job. I came up with a simple way to install and not get hurt.

Not sure if the same bar works for either side or not?? Seems like it would need different offset to go on the other side.

David, I have 'hurt' of that, will do a search. Also heard of some special tools...

Good question - could I use the same but in other direction?

Do a search on the forum. I did a post on installing the torsion bar. People have got hurt doing that job. I came up with a simple way to install and not get hurt.

Not sure if the same bar works for either side or not?? Seems like it would need different offset to go on the other side.

David, the two bars bars are different and the single bar will not work on either side. I provided earlier in this thread a link to a previous post that illustrated the differenceS between the two bars.

Rich,

does that mean I have to look for another bar of a vert which is not the single one? So does this also mean there was a configuration from factory where 2 different bars were together installed?

David, the two bars bars are different and the single bar will not work on either side. I provided earlier in this thread a link to a previous post that illustrated the differenceS between the two bars.

Rich,

does that mean I have to look for another bar of a vert which is not the single one? So does this also mean there was a configuration from factory where 2 different bars were together installed?

Tim,

First Mustang fasbacks use different bars unique to them. Cougars in coupe or vert used two bars since their trunk lids were big and heavier. Mustangs and Cougars used the same Coupe and Convertible chassis (buck), so I am guessing that the provision for installing two torsion bars was there in Mustang Coupe and Convertible for that reason. The general consensus on this forum and by looking at the assembly manual is that Mustang Coupes and verts did not (normally) come from the factory with the second bar. That said the first Mustang I bought in 1975 (a year and a half old and unmolested) had a second one for whatever reason. Maybe it was accidentally installed by the factory or dealer installed... who knows. I do remember that it was body color, so I am guessing it was that way from the factory.

The two bars are different as you can see from the picture... The 90-degree bend at the one end of the standard bar is at a different angle from the end on the second bar. By looking at the picture one appears to be at 90 degrees and the at a 45-degree angle (give or take). There was also an anti-rattle grommet or a tube used to prevent the bars from rattling.

CAM01799.jpg

Finally, I also made a torsion bar adjusting tool to make it easier to install and move the bars from one notch to the other. 

20170703_064333.jpg

Here is a post that goes into more depth and detail with pictures, that can provide more info. on all the above. 

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-safely-install-trunk-torsion-bars

Rich,

thank you for clearing that out and giving such a detailed description, that linked thread is a good source :goodpost: :coolphotos:

I will make that tool too, looks good and not too dangerous installing the torsion bars with it than without ::thumb::

I guess I will have a look for two bars from a cougar so I can be sure they are the right ones and fitting together...

Latest posts

Back