Trans question...usable or not

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSinger

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang 302 auto
I recently picked up a 71 fastback that my son and I are going to freshen up for a warm weather driver for him. The trans has a bit of a sluggish slip to it when cold. The previous owner gave us a replacement trans that he said is a fresh rebuild...but its been sitting a while, and that is what has me concerned. If you look at the pic, the large splined shaft coming out of the trans has some surface/flash rust on it. For the most part, it seems to wipe off. My question is will this make the trans no good to use, or is that something that is easy enough to change out and still use the trans.

thanks \

Matt

20131007_175726[1].jpg

I'd definitely give it a go if it has been rebuilt.

The rust needs to be cleaned off.

I doubt whether the rust has gotten to the front pump seal to cause damage.

Put some oil in it for the peace of mind first and lean it to see if the seal holds.

For the few bucks, you can even change the seal to confirm that the rust didn't travel further.

Good luck...

I would try adjusting the bands on the one that is in the car, see if that helps the slippage.

The torque converter has to seal on that shaft, so it needs to be cleaned up and polished with emory cloth.

I believe you have to start at the back of the transmission and work your way forward, with the front pump and input shaft coming out last.

we are going to do a little investigating first on the trans. We drove it a bit at the PO place, seemed ok when warm, when we loaded it on the trailer cold is when we noticed it. Currently, we have the rear axle out for a complete cleaning and repaint. Hope to have it back in by the weekend, then see where we go with the trans.

Im sure we will have more questions....thanks for the help

Matt

If you're not familiar with the box in the car, I wouldn't panic...

At this early stage, it could be anything.

First job, take the pan off, change filter, oil, etc.

Top up to correct level.

As the previous poster suggested, it still may be good with a band adjustment.

These things are pretty bullet proof.

Only when you've done the above, I would consider a change of box.

I agree. Having the right amount of fluid (checking when hot) is the first thing I would do. Even a quart low will cause the trans to not perform as it should.

As far as your rebuilt one. I'd agree with the others too and clean the rust of the shaft and check the seals. They are easy to change now if they look cracked.

well, heres an update. Im not sure what happened, but after getting the rear axle all back in and everything else connected, the trans seems to be working fine. It was a little low on fluid....I'm not sure why it had an issue when we loaded it on the trailer....but took it out for a short 6 mile drive last night...seems to go through the gears just fine. Guess I have an extra trans.

Back