Transmission linkage for a C6

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 88

Reaction score
I have a 71 convertible, am installing a C6 transmission and need some help with a part number altho if you have the part that would be even better.

What is the part number for the transmission linkage on the side of the transmission on a C6? The linkage I am referring to is held on to the side of the transmission with a nut and where the shifter rod attaches. The engine is a 429 cj, factory shifter.

picture attached...

Shifter Piece.JPG

Looks like the kick down linkage broke there. That's is the arm that downshifts one gear when you stomp on it for a lane change.

I don't know if the aftermarket makes it.

You might have to get one of a junked c6

I have a 71 convertible, am installing a C6 transmission and need some help with a part number altho if you have the part that would be even better.

What is the part number for the transmission linkage on the side of the transmission on a C6? The linkage I am referring to is held on to the side of the transmission with a nut and where the shifter rod attaches. The engine is a 429 cj, factory shifter.

picture attached...
I will have the same issue for my FMX. There is not downshift linkage to the carb. It must have been removed when the engine was upgraded to eldebrock intake and 4v carb. Does anyone know if cars other then mustangs use the same part? That would make it easier to find.

well you can convert from a tube style kickdown to a cable type, i've seen conversion kits on the net for it.

Looks like the kick down linkage broke there. That's is the arm that downshifts one gear when you stomp on it for a lane change.

I don't know if the aftermarket makes it.

You might have to get one of a junked c6
Yes that broken piece is for the kickdown linkage but I am not using that. I need the part that the shifter rod connects to. Thats the problem, the one in the pic is not the correct one. Thanks for the suggestion to look at an old C6. I should have thought of that one!

Last edited by a moderator:

picture attached...

[/quote

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=C-6&Schematic=5

picture attached...

[/quote

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=C-6&Schematic=5
Thanks! They have some of the parts and that will help. Anyone out there have the originals they could sell me? I am attaching a pic from 429mustangcougarinfo of what it should look like. As best I can tell the part number is a D0ZPD

C6Linkage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little FYI.

My c6 does not have the correct linkage d0zpd, the only source I found for them is from another c6 transmission from the same car series. There are a lot of variations on that linkage because of the parking transmission lock that goes to the steering column for anti theft.

I have never seen that linkage for sale anywhere.

Problem 2 to replace that linkage in the transmission you have to completely disassemble the transmission. Unfortunatly it does not slide out in one shot.

The valve body, 2nd gear band, pump and planetary, clutch packs all have to come out to allow that arm to slide back into the transmission so you can remove it.

At that point your looking at a complete transmission rebuild to replace it.

That's my situation I have an incorrect linkage for a mustang so I can not use my steering column lock in conjuction with the linkage for gear selection. My car was originally an fmx.

In my case I would need to buy a transmission to get the parts I need to have a 100% correct linkage. As for now I modified a bar to use as a shifter arm. So I can select all gears.

Just want to give you a heads up in what is involved in replacing that linkage in the transmission.

By comparison the kick down lever is very easy to fix it's one nut and the arm can be replaced.

Thank you! I have enjoyed putting the car back together and haven't looked into how to put that part on, sounds like a trip to the tranny shop with a comparable part might be in order.

Back