Trap door install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stangit72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1971 convertible
Trying to figure out how to install the trap door found the two side brackets but they dont seem to fit flush on the bottom.Does anyone have pics of these brackets and how they fit to the trap door

DSCN0786.JPG

Trying to figure out how to install the trap door found the two side brackets but they dont seem to fit flush on the bottom.Does anyone have pics of these brackets and how they fit to the trap door
I am in the same boat. I have all of the fold-down seat hardware, panels, mounting brackets for the panels, and brackets for the seat, what I don't have is the "framework" that takes the place of the standard package tray, and upper rear seat support. I figure I am going to have to fabricate sheet metal for everything to mount too. I found everything on eBay once, including the necessary framework, but he was also selling the seats, trapdoor, trim panels etc, which I already have and he wouldn't break it up. In the attached photo are all the parts, I just need the 2 vertical metal frames in the upper left (blue)

!BlOHr2Q!mk~$(KGrHqIH-DgEs96Zc6!7BL,)nU4V9w~~_3.JPG

I bought a complete fold down seat assembly hoping to install it in my car but after researching it there are quiet a few frame changes that have to be made and only donor parts available to do it with. So mine sits in the attic never to be used. At least not on this car anyways.

I am determined to make mine work. I think with a little metal fab I can get it, mainly the pieces for the trap door side pieces to mount to in the back/trunk area....we'll see!

I am determined to make mine work. I think with a little metal fab I can get it, mainly the pieces for the trap door side pieces to mount to in the back/trunk area....we'll see!
Good luck it was just more than I wanted to tackle. I'm sure you can do it, just i have my hands full with the car in general.

I am in the same boat. I have all of the fold-down seat hardware, panels, mounting brackets for the panels, and brackets for the seat, what I don't have is the "framework" that takes the place of the standard package tray, and upper rear seat support. I figure I am going to have to fabricate sheet metal for everything to mount too. I found everything on eBay once, including the necessary framework, but he was also selling the seats, trapdoor, trim panels etc, which I already have and he wouldn't break it up. In the attached photo are all the parts, I just need the 2 vertical metal frames in the upper left (blue)
Email me I have the L & R trim

Don

[email protected]

My only car with a complete fold down is not accessible at the moment

I think that is correct, it does not go to the bottom.

As soon as I can I'll look at the car with fold down

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Email me I have the L & R trim

Don

[email protected]

My only car with a complete fold down is not accessible at the moment

I think that is correct, it does not go to the bottom.

As soon as I can I'll look at the car with fold down

Don
I have emailed you with a pic of what I am looking for...Thanks!

Hey guys, on a related note what percentages of fastback or Mach 1s came with fold down back seats? Mine has one and i think its one of the coolest things about the car. Is it hard to change out the carpet on em? Ive tried to lube up the hinge an its gettin better. What the best lube? Thanks michael

Hey guys, on a related note what percentages of fastback or Mach 1s came with fold down back seats? Mine has one and i think its one of the coolest things about the car. Is it hard to change out the carpet on em? Ive tried to lube up the hinge an its gettin better. What the best lube? Thanks michael
Don't hold me to this but without looking in the books, about 20 - 25 %

Hinges usually get rusty, any oil and work it in, if the seat is out put it on it's side so oil can rund down thru the hinge.

Don

Back