Travails of the Trailer Queen

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part 6 (originally posted 06 Feb 2011)

Engine

As of today the engine has been broken down, cleaned and magnafluxed for cracks (none found) all components have been chucked with the exception of the block, crankshaft, heads and alternator. The stock exhaust manifold, intake and carburator will be retained and returned to my wife. This engine held a few surprises for my wife, before I get into that I have to give you all a quick history of the 351 Cleveland first.

Searching the Web there is a lot misinformation and confusion over this engine. The Cleveland engine was produced from 1970 – 1974 in North America but continued to be produced in Australia into the ‘80’s. Often confused with the 351 Windsor the only similarities start and stop with the displacement, very few of the components are compatible other than the heads (with minor machining) and a few minor components. The Cleveland’s claim to fame is derived from it heads, which feature huge intake and exhaust valves and associated ports. Furthermore in order to fit these large valves they had to be canted which made the heads exotic for the time. These engines were produced in two types, the standard 2V (2 barrel carb) and 4V (4 barrel carb) heads, both have very different intake and exhaust manifolds and from what I understand are not interchangeable, the difference being that the 4V heads had even larger valves than the 2V version which required larger intake and exhaust ports. Eventhough the 4V Cleveland’s were favoured by NASCAR and drag racers they were available for use in Mustangs, Cougars and Torinos, De Tomaso Panteras and other cars as well. Only about 8% of the engines producced were of the 4V type, the remaining 92% were of the standard 2V variety. The 4V heads flowed so well that Ford fitted them on the 302 Windsor to produce the famous and valuable ’69 - 70 Boss 302. From '70 to '74 there where no less than 6 variants of this engine in both 2V and 4V configurations (2V, 4V, Boss 351, HO, various Cobra Jets). Even more confusing, in ’73 the 351 Clevelands fitted with the 4V heads (the heads are embossed with the number 4) actually had the smaller 2V valves (probably due to meeting new emissions standards). On top of this were the tall deck version of the Cleveland family, the 351M/400, used in mid/full size cars and light trucks. If that wasn’t confusing enough, there is also the issue of which ones had 2 or 4 bolt mains, although it was commonly thought all 4V engines also had 4 bolt main blocks and 2V had 2 bolt mains, it was not always the case (from Kelly Hotrod – Ford Engine “Hobby consensus is that Ford mixed these in production. 2 bolt blocks have been found on 4V’s and 4 bolt blocks on family cars”), so you never know what you’ve got until you remove the oil pan.

There is much discussion on what caused the demise the Cleveland, the truth appears to be the simple fact the Cleveland was heavier, more expensive (due to the design of the heads) and more importantly could not meet the new emissions standards as easily as the Windsor engine. Despite the Cleveland’s relatively short reign there are aftermarket parts available, unfortunately most of these part are for the more popular 2V design, parts for 4V are available but there are there very few vendors and they are mostly geared for competitive applications. For example, after much research, there are only three headers available for ’73 351C 4V and one of them are full blown racing headers. Another example, as you know even though my wife’s '73 has 4V heads, they are fitted with 2V sized valves, knowing this she decided that if she had 4V heads she wanted the larger 4V valves. With this decision made, her engine builder agreed to do the necessary machining. However after a quick search the only 4V valves available are made of stainless steel Boss valves, not something you typically see on a street machine.

OK, enough of the history lesson, as I mentioned in the opening line of this part I this engine held a few surprises. First off, the engine died because the timing chain had in fact skipped two teeth, bending two pushrods and destroying the distributor in the process. During the disassembly process one engine mount and seven exhaust header bolts snapped, all them below the surface. As previoulsy stated although the heads are of the 4V type they are fitted with the smaller 2V valves, and the good news, she’s got a 4 bolt main block. But the biggest surprise is the condition of the block, despite having 98,000 miles on the odometer the cylinder walls are almost pristine, there isn’t even a ridge at the top of the cylinder wall. The wife’s engine builder told no machining is required, just a honing.

Bent push rods.

mod102.jpg

Grimy, sludgy heads.

mod076.jpg

mod074.jpg

mod075.jpg

I’m not a mechanic but I believe the car was running rich. What say you?

mod030.jpg

mod029.jpg

Fresh from the bath.

mod073.jpg

mod072.jpg

mod071.jpg

Heads being magnafluxed by Brian Hackett, owner of Trick-Engines.

mod082.jpg

Look at the size of those ports and valve openings (and these are the stock 2V openings). Notice the snapped bolts?

mod027.jpg

mod026.jpg

mod028.jpg

If I’m reading this right this block was cast on 06 December 1972 (a Wednesday, lucky wife).

mod023.jpg

A clean block.

mod025.jpg

mod031.jpg

Enjoy the four bolt main goodness.

mod021.jpg

Smooth, untouched cylinders.

mod024.jpg

And the parts start coming in.

mod105.jpg

End of part 6. Part 7 to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great information.

Question about the block date code; I'm not up to speed on these codes but if the date is December 6, 1973, wouldn't that be after the 73 Mustang was out of production? The Mustang II would have come out by then.

Great information.

Question about the block date code; I'm not up to speed on these codes but if the date is December 6, 1973, wouldn't that be after the 73 Mustang was out of production? The Mustang II would have come out by then.
This is mach1mama's husband writing. You'r absolutely right. It's a typo on my part, I can't believe I missed that after the countless times I've reviewed and proof read this series. I'm going to correct the error, thanks for the heads up.

Another example, as you know even though my wife’s '73 has 4V heads, they are fitted with 2V sized valves, knowing this she decided that if she had 4V heads she wanted the larger 4V valves.

Never heard of this..............How is it even possible:huh:

Another example, as you know even though my wife’s '73 has 4V heads, they are fitted with 2V sized valves, knowing this she decided that if she had 4V heads she wanted the larger 4V valves.

This is mach1mama's husband again.

That's right, it took a while for me to wrap my head around it as well. According to MustangTeck heads section.

D1AE-CB, 71-74 351C (2V), Valves 2.04 / 1.65

DOAE-6090-M,N,R or DOAE-N or D1ZE-DA,

70-72 351C (4V) Valves 2.19 / 1.71

D3ZE-AA, 73-74 351C CJ (4V), Valves 2.04 / 1.66

As can be seen although the '73-'74 351C CJ (by default CJ=4V heads) have 4V heads they were fitted with 2V valves.

Furthermore, from 351Cleveland.net / Cleveland Wiki / intro page / An introductory page on the on the Q code Cleveland by Tom Custom.

"1973:

H code 351C-2V, two barrel engine, 8:1 CR (or so), open 2V style heads

Q code: Cobra Jet 4V 8:1 CR (or so) four barrel engine. Same as 1972 but got the 2V sized valves in the 4V heads. Cam was retarded in timing 4 degrees sometime starting in 1972. The change is in the cam. It gets an EGR system. Only 4V Cleveland engine option in 1973/74.

The 1973 Q code used a special air cleaner housing with the usual snorkel on the right side, a second air inlet controlled by a vacuum servo on the left (US driver's) side, and a chrome lid. Transmissions with the CJ were either the Toploader (only close ratio available in 1973) or the C6 with a special smaller diameter, high stall torque converter. Dual points only with 4 speed. All CJ years cam with a cast iron spread bore intake manifold."

1973 was an orphan year for the Mustang, what with having emmisions equipment installed (the EGR valve and plate made it impossible to fit the underhood Ram Air components eventhough the Mach 1 had the Ram Air hood) which was probably why they used the smaller valves. Also trying to find a modern carburator to fit the intake manifold of the OEM spread bore 4300 was an exercise in futility.

As a graphic representation, compare the pictures of the stock valve openings shown in part 6 with upcoming pictures of the proper 4V valves in an upcoming part, you'll notice the difference.

If anyone else has any more info on this topic I would really like to see it.

That's right, it took a while for me to wrap my head around it as well. According to MustangTeck heads section.

As can be seen although the '73-'74 351C CJ (by default CJ=4V heads) have 4V heads they were fitted with 2V valves.

Furthermore, from 351Cleveland.net / Cleveland Wiki / intro page / An introductory page on the on the Q code Cleveland by Tom Custom.

"1973:

Q code: Cobra Jet 4V 8:1 CR (or so) four barrel engine. Same as 1972 but got the 2V sized valves in the 4V heads. Cam was retarded in timing 4 degrees sometime starting in 1972. The change is in the cam. It gets an EGR system. Only 4V Cleveland engine option in 1973/74.

The 1973 Q code used a special air cleaner housing with the usual snorkel on the right side, a second air inlet controlled by a vacuum servo on the left (US driver's) side, and a chrome lid. Transmissions with the CJ were either the Toploader (only close ratio available in 1973) or the C6 with a special smaller diameter, high stall torque converter. Dual points only with 4 speed. All CJ years cam with a cast iron spread bore intake manifold."

1973 was an orphan year for the Mustang, what with having emmisions equipment installed (the EGR valve and plate made it impossible to fit the underhood Ram Air components eventhough the Mach 1 had the Ram Air hood) which was probably why they used the smaller valves. Also trying to find a modern carburator to fit the intake manifold of the OEM spread bore 4300 was an exercise in futility.

As a graphic representation, compare the pictures of the stock valve openings shown in part 6 with upcoming pictures of the proper 4V valves in an upcoming part, you'll notice the difference.

Wow, very complicated. It looks like you really did your homework.

"1973:

Wow I thought all 71/73 4v heads had (4V) Valves 2.19 / 1.71

Should have known 73 would be differant

Wow, very complicated. It looks like you really did your homework.
This is mach1mama's husband.

One thing we've learnt prior to doing the rebuild on the "Trailer Queen" was the importance of research, research, research. Because if you don't you could make very costly and time consuming mistakes. This write is a year old and we're still doing research and learning new things.

Hmm. I've seen the small valve '73 heads before, but I read differing things... That it was all 73, or late 73 had small, and that some early '73 had large valves. guess I'll find out when I swap my quench heads on what I had..

Hmm. I've seen the small valve '73 heads before, but I read differing things... That it was all 73, or late 73 had small, and that some early '73 had large valves. guess I'll find out when I swap my quench heads on what I had..
This is mach1mama's husband.

Yup! Back in the day Ford used to mix and match such stuff. Remember this a time before computer control/tracking/management. By the way, I'm interested in knowing if you have a four bolt main and what carburator came stock with your '73.

Part 7 (originally posted 15 Feb 2011)

Due to the foul weather and delays in getting certain parts not much has been accomplished since my last instalment. However, the body work is complete, the only parts outstanding for the engine rebuild are the cam shaft bearings and we are awaiting delivery of the brake kits (my wife wasn’t aware that the slotted rotors she wants are special order). Despite this lack of progress I’ll post pictures of some the items that will eventually be installed on the wife’s Mach 1.

First, these are parts needed to make the Ram Air hood functional, my wife had the metal parts powder coated. The air cleaner cover is missing as it will receive a custom air-brush treatment.

mod093.jpg

The new wheels have arrived and new rubber have been mounted. The wheels are American Racing, Hot Rod, Torque Thrust II, Polished Aluminum.

mod118.jpg

mod106.jpg

mod113.jpg

The wife went with a staggered set-up with 16 X 7 in front and 16 X 8 for the rear.

mod111.jpg

The tires are Michellin Pilot Sport AS Plus, the fronts are 225/55 ZR 16

mod112.jpg

The rear tires are 245/50 ZR 16.

mod110.jpg

I didn’t know that the wheels are welded.

mod119.jpg

And for a little “bling” she got chrome valve stems.

mod121.jpg

Finally her ceramic coated (inside and outside) stainless long tube headers.

mod094.jpg

mod095.jpg

End of part 7. Part 8 to follow.

Back