Travails of the Trailer Queen

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. I've seen the small valve '73 heads before, but I read differing things... That it was all 73, or late 73 had small, and that some early '73 had large valves. guess I'll find out when I swap my quench heads on what I had..
More than likely they used up whatever supply of leftover large valve heads were on hand before switching to the D3 small valve heads.

More on small valve heads here:

http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/Q+Code+and+Cobra+Jets

Okay .... I'll admit...when I read "trailer queen" :s I usually don't bother. I USE my cars and I have a huge appreciation for those of us that enjoy feeling the road with technology of the 70's. I dont care much for checkbook restoration folks.

But with 7 pages....I knew it had to be worthy of checking out. WOW..... he MUST have read the "show me the pic's " comments in the Introduction section!!!! and I'm glad MachIMama/hubby DID!! awesome story.

Okay .... I'll admit...when I read "trailer queen" :s I usually don't bother. I USE my cars and I have a huge appreciation for those of us that enjoy feeling the road with technology of the 70's. I dont care much for checkbook restoration folks.

But with 7 pages....I knew it had to be worthy of checking out. WOW..... he MUST have read the "show me the pic's " comments in the Introduction section!!!! and I'm glad MachIMama/hubby DID!! awesome story.
My favourite saying is "it is a car, not a couch". I purchased my car to enjoy and I drive it as much as possible. I am very happy you appreciate the story and the work my hubby put in to writing it. I really think the styling of these cars is under appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read the write-up:)

Part 8 (Originally posted 2 Mar 2011)

It’s been a while since my last up-date so I’ll cover what’s happened. But before I start I have to state that due to some miscommunication between myself and my wife I made some minor errors in describing the current rebuild. The first one is in regards to water in the trunk, the water was not coming from the wheel well as I originally wrote but was in fact getting in from the two longitudinal body seams of the top corners of the trunk. A quick scrape of the old sealant and a quick application of new sealant cured the problem. Secondly, I mistakenly said that the engine cylinder walls would only have to be honed. Truth be told it needed to be bored out 0.030. Finally, along with the heads, crankshaft, and engine block it was decided to retain the original connecting rods which the engine builder assured us would be more than adequate for the estimated engine output.

The current status of the “Trailer Queen” is as follows. All body and paint is complete and the car has been brought to the assembler (Big Block Larry) who is working on renewing the engine bay wiring harness. He decided to re-do the harness because he could not find an OEM style harness for “71 – “73 Mustangs and absolutely hates trying to make universal harnesses fit. He should be mocking up and installing the air conditioner soon as well as the new brake booster and master cylinder. My wife’s disc brake package have finally arrived and delivered to the assembler with the exception of the four callipers and rear dust shields which are going to be powder coated (black) before being installed.

The final remaining engine components have also arrived. The engine has left Trick Engines and is with the engine assembler for final machining and assembly; he will also be responsible to have the engine dynoed at Armstrong Brothers. The engine builder is finding out the joys of trying to find aftermarket Cleveland parts, one problem deals with the valve keepers. The stainless steel exhaust/intake valves required a larger diameter valve keeper than originally thought. They where of such a size that they interfered with the new roller rocker arms. To solve the problem a small relief will be machined in the rockers to clear the keepers. The Cleveland engines where known to bend push rods, with this in mind we purchased slightly shorter, extra strong rods and will lightly machine the rocker pedestals to make up for the difference in length, this will shorten the rod distance from the valve guides to the roller rocker and thus decrease the bending forces applied to the push rods. Another change from stock configuration is the use of flat top pistons vice the dished OEM pistons to give us a slight boost in compression

And now, more photos.

Front SSBC brake kit less pads (on order)

mod131.jpg

mod132.jpg

mod134.jpg

Rear SSBC disc brake conversion kit.

mod163.jpg

mod126.jpg

mod127.jpg

Box of Speed Pro (from Summit Racing) flat top piston overbored by 0.030 with stock connecting rods.

mod160.jpg

Painted block, although the engine assembler is a big GM fan he customized one of his engine stands for my wife’s engine (check out the legend on the base).

mod154.jpg

mod159.jpg

mod152.jpg

Internal block and cylinders.

mod141.jpg

mod144.jpg

mod137.jpg

mod140.jpg

Stainless steel valves.

mod149.jpg

From this angle you can see the canted valves.

mod157.jpg

More views of the head.

mod146.jpg

mod147.jpg

mod148.jpg

If I’m reading this casting code correctly these heads where cast December 13 1972 (another Wednesday, very lucky wife)

mod161.jpg

Push rods.

mod155.jpg

Cam shaft

mod150.jpg

Finally, my wife’s birthday present (she LOVED IT) thanks Bill.

mod145.jpg

End of part 8. Part 9 to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 9 (Originally posted 16 Mar 2011)

Again, nothing much to report due to ongoing delays in assembling the “Trailer Queen”. The shop assigned to re-assemble the Mach 1 and upgrade the brakes, exhaust and AC system lost one his employees for a couple of weeks which is putting him way behind schedule. At least all the parts have arrived and are on hand.

Since part 8 of this write up there has been one change to the engine dealing with the roller rocker arms. As explained the original rocker arms sourced for this rebuild did not clear the valve spring keepers requiring minor machining. It turns out that the reason they didn’t fit had to do to the fact that the engine builder ordered the wrong ones to begin with, instead of getting pedestal mounted rockers he mistakenly ordered stud mounted ones. Once this was sorted out and the right pieces arrived the rest of the engine was finally assembled. This was about two weeks ago. However, the shop contracted to break-in and dyno the engine cancelled our appointment not once, but twice, we have a firm scheduled appointment for next Tuesday. Hopefully I will be able to post a video of the engines’ first cry of life and the dyno run.

In the meantime here are more photos to keep you interested.

!!! Damn you woman !!! use your own tub to clean/polish your wheels! Thanks Bill, now I have to take a sponge bath.

mod204-1.jpg

mod203.jpg

mod202-1.jpg

Shock tower cover and brake parts fresh from the paint shop and ready for installation (ignore the nosy cat).

mod200.jpg

Gaskets, valves, valve springs etc…

mod180.jpg

Gaskets.

mod181.jpg

Painted heads

mod179.jpg

Engine assembly

Crank in.

mod183.jpg

4 bolt mains attached.

mod184.jpg

Forged pistons are in.

mod186.jpg

Heads attached to block with valves and valve springs fitted.

mod189.jpg

Roller rockers installed.

mod164.jpg

mod169.jpg

mod166.jpg

Intake on.

mod172.jpg

Carburator and valve covers.

mod174.jpg

Almost ready to race (missing distributor)

mod177.jpg

End of Part 9. Part 10 to follow.

Great update and pictures as usual! I never thought about bringing my wheels in to clean them in the tub! Not sure I would get away with that with my wife without minor injuries! Anyway, I'm sure you didn't mind a few sponge baths while your wife cleaned her wheels! They look great!

Great update and pictures as usual! I never thought about bringing my wheels in to clean them in the tub! Not sure I would get away with that with my wife without minor injuries! Anyway, I'm sure you didn't mind a few sponge baths while your wife cleaned her wheels! They look great!
Using the bathtub was my idea. Although, I have had a couple of "remarks" about that from other women. I just thought it was the most efficient. Besides, it was the spare bathroom. :)

Using the bathtub was my idea. Although, I have had a couple of "remarks" about that from other women. I just thought it was the most efficient. Besides, it was the spare bathroom. :)
We are gonna have to get you and your husband signed up:D I stay confused on who I'm talking to:huh:

We are gonna have to get you and your husband signed up:D I stay confused on who I'm talking to:huh:
I agree. Plus, two accounts cost the same as one! :)

Doc

Latest posts

Back