Ugly Undercarriage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the vinyl flooring because I can slide around under the car easier. Never was a fan of rug burns.

Talking of garage floor treatments, I had my g/floor replaced a few years ago and after a 1 year cure, I epoxy coated it. It is moister proof and also oil proof. As a bonus, no dust either and very easy to keep "lookin perdy". Beats plastic or cardboard (or shag carpet) any day.

As for the undercarriage, I chose to leave it untouched and original from the firewall back. It's a bit dirty for sure, but no rust. When I changed the gas tank, the trunk floor underside was as new.... literally. I wish I'd taken pictures! If I were to do anything, it would just be a light pressure wash, but alas, no access to a suitable hoist. It is what it is for now.

IMG_0916.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents. I say why not clean it up.  You say your going to do a ground up down the road. But what if you don't get to it the bottom will be tidied up and preserved. 

Get some 3M red skootch bright pads and scuff all loose scale off. Maybe a wire wheel on some off the bad spots. Wash down with Dawn dish soap or simple green. Spray it rust-oleum flat black or satin your call.  I don't think it's going to make it any harder at restoration time. It should be a benefit to slow the rust down.  Do not use rubberized under coat. 

Tips..  Aluminum foil crunches over parts you don't want paint on. Trans, exhaust, etc.  On paint day bisqueen  the garage floor and top of car for over spray.     

Back