Valve cover Oil breather cap issue!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azamstang01

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang
Changed my valve cover on my 302 but now my oem oil breather cap doesn't go into the new valve cover? The hole in the new valve cover isn't the same design as the original one. Is there any way to make it work or do I have to revert it back to the old one? any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 0
Will your PCV valve fit directly into the grommet in your new rocker cover? If so, do that. Pull it out and use a funnel when it's time to add oil.
I checked and it goes right in, it's ok like that? it won't hurt anything not having the PCV valve going through the oil filler cap anymore?

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 0
I checked and it goes right in, it's ok like that? it won't hurt anything not having the PCV valve going through the oil filler cap anymore?
No reason that I'm aware of. If the PCV fits tightly into the grommet and the grommet provides a complete seal around the PCV, that's what you need.

The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system allows crankcase fumes to be drawn out of the engine, fed into the intake, and burned during engine combustion. Up until the early 1960s, many cars just vented those fumes to the atmosphere. Here is a generic description of how the system works with a typical small-block Ford V8 engine. The inlet to the PCV system is through a plastic fitting on the passenger side of the air cleaner housing which has a little filter element inside the housing (known as a "breather element") that keeps debris from being sucked into the crankcase. There is a hose from that air cleaner fitting that runs over to a plastic fitting in a rubber grommet on the passenger side rocker cover. Fresh air is drawn into the crankcase through this hose. The outlet is through the PCV valve on the driver side of the engine. The hose from the PCV valve connects to either the base of the carburetor, a spacer plate between the carb and intake manifold, or a fitting in the intake manifold.

No reason that I'm aware of. If the PCV fits tightly into the grommet and the grommet provides a complete seal around the PCV, that's what you need.

The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system allows crankcase fumes to be drawn out of the engine, fed into the intake, and burned during engine combustion. Up until the early 1960s, many cars just vented those fumes to the atmosphere. Here is a generic description of how the system works with a typical small-block Ford V8 engine. The inlet to the PCV system is through a plastic fitting on the passenger side of the air cleaner housing which has a little filter element inside the housing (known as a "breather element") that keeps debris from being sucked into the crankcase. There is a hose from that air cleaner fitting that runs over to a plastic fitting in a rubber grommet on the passenger side rocker cover. Fresh air is drawn into the crankcase through this hose. The outlet is through the PCV valve on the driver side of the engine. The hose from the PCV valve connects to either the base of the carburetor, a spacer plate between the carb and intake manifold, or a fitting in the intake manifold.
Oh I see now, That all makes sense I appreciate it a lot thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 0
Back