VALVE SPIRNG REPLACEMENTS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71MACH-1

Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH 1 351C (WITH A CAM)
4SPD HURST
FACTORY AC
DISC BRAKES
PERTRONIX ELECTRONIC IGNITION
TORINO SEATS WITH CONSOLE
GAUGE PACKAGE
I am needing to have all of the valve springs replaced on my 1971 351C. what should this cost?

As a general rule, springs should be purchased with the cam, so there is a match between the cam pattern and the spring pressure.

That being said, my Isky springs ran $150 list price. I paid $60.

AND I NEED PUSH RODS ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOTHER F'ER

I already have a performance cam

I already have a performance cam
Whatever cam you have should have a recommendation for the spring pressure.

What happened to your springs/pushrods?

some springs were apparently "compressed/smused" and some push rods were bent.....

i have no clue how

some springs were apparently "compressed/smused" and some push rods were bent.....

i have no clue how
How many miles on the motor?

57 thousand or so

What is the lift and duration. That's probably what wiped your push rods, springs were bottoming out. Contact your cam manufacturer and get the springs to match your cam. With a compressor and spring wrench it's not a bad job. Just a pain getting the air adapter in some of the plug holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what cam is in it..... It came with it

It seems odd to me that you could drive 57000 miles with the wrong size pushrods, and springs that were being banged up.

Did you put in the cam?

If you did, did you degree it?

How many springs and how many pushrods have this issue?

I bought the car 50 miles ago. I didn't put the cam in. Not sure how many springs or pushrods are bad

Easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is contact the previous owner and see if they can give you some cam info. Otherwise, you really need to know what the cam is. You could let a loose push rod go to the bottom of it's travel and scribe a fine line on it. Allow the rod to come to the height of it's travel and make another mark. The trick to this is marking it from the exact same reference point on your block. Then measure between the lines. Me, I'd pull the cam if the previous owner is no help, and get the numbers off it. Only way to get the right springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is contact the previous owner and see if they can give you some cam info. Otherwise, you really need to know what the cam is. You could let a loose push rod go to the bottom of it's travel and scribe a fine line on it. Allow the rod to come to the height of it's travel and make another mark. The trick to this is marking it from the exact same reference point on your block. Then measure between the lines. Me, I'd pull the cam if the previous owner is no help, and get the numbers off it. Only way to get the right springs.
1. Ditto...Only way to get the right springs is knowing the correct cam.

2. Not sure I would trust the owner at this point...maybe he got a cam that was not machined properly.

3. Since you have only driven the car 50 miles, did it drive properly/strong to begin with? Did you rev the crap out of it?

I might have revved it a little........

Back