Vibration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what flywheel is in there, I didn't build it. I hope to take it off on Saturday afternoon or Sunday to find out.

I am also thinking about changing the harmonic balancer at the same time. Don't know what that is either.

From a receipt I got with the car, it states the motor is a 1974 351W. How can I verify this? I want to make sure i get the right parts.

Thanks

Jeff

The Windsor will have the top radiator hose going into the intake manifold. Clevelands go into the timing cover.
Mark ... Clevelands top hose goes ??? WHERE ? :huh:

You better not do any more 20 hour shifts at work, those are for the young guys :)

Or do the 20 hours shifts but then go home and to bed :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cleveland block has it's thermostat housing / water neck coming straight out the top of the block, vertical to the radiator. The hose will have a sharp 90 degree bend to route water to the radiator.

The Windsor block has it thermostat housing / water neck coming out of the intake manifold pointing forward, horizontal to the radiator.

The Cleveland block does appear to have the hose routed into the timing gear section of the block:

mufp_0606_01_z+351_cleveland_performance_engine_build+timing_seal.jpg

The windsor has a completely separate housing:

sbf%20timing%20cover.jpg

I don't know what flywheel is in there, I didn't build it. I hope to take it off on Saturday afternoon or Sunday to find out.

I am also thinking about changing the harmonic balancer at the same time. Don't know what that is either.

From a receipt I got with the car, it states the motor is a 1974 351W. How can I verify this? I want to make sure i get the right parts.

Thanks

Jeff
Pull the starter and look on the block for casting date code (3 or 4 characters) and block casting number. We can then tell you at least what the block is. Chuck

The Windsor will have the top radiator hose going into the intake manifold. Clevelands go into the timing cover.

You better not do any more 20 hour shifts at work, those are for the young guys :)

O.K. I'll wait 24hrs after eating shutdowns before entering the pool! :p

O.K. I'll wait 24hrs after eating shutdowns before entering the pool! :p
HEY, the 24 hr waiting period may be varied - depends on quanities of empty Bud cans :)

Thanks for the help so far.

I have removed the flywheel and here is a picture of the back...Flywheel 019.jpg

I am thinking this is a 50oz flywheel that some one has drilled to get close to a 28oz flywheel.

Could this be( along with a wrong harmonc balancer ) what is giving me my vibration?

I don't have a problem buying new parts just don't want waste my money either.

Also, I have the casting numbers D4AE-6015-AA

And it is a Windsor, thermostat housing coming out of the front then up.

Droptop

The only numbers I can get off it are the ones you see in the picture, 711.

I read some where else , that some one took theirs to a machine shop and had theirs re-balanced to a 28 oz flywheel ( I know everything on the net is real , right). I also have seen many pictures of new and used 50 oz flywheels that do not have holes drilled in them. So I put 1 and 1 together.

Tnfasbak...

After reading the link provided I didn't get how you came to the conclusion it is a 1971 351W flywheel. I see that my option is "possibility #5", but I don't know what that means. Can you tell me where I can get the same information? I am not doubting you in any way, I just like to learn, and find information.

Hey I never said I was smart or anything.:p

Thanks All

Jeff

****IMPORTANT****

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect...

When my machinist gave me my flywheel, I was told it was not only balanced individually, but with all of the rotating assemblies.

As a result, the flywheel needed to be put on a certain way. I do not recall exactly, but it may just have been to make sure once it is mounted, but not tightened down, to rotate it fully clockwise or counterclockwise. Then tighten it down.

Looking from behind the flywheel toward the front I don't know if the flywheel rotates CW or CCW. I am guessing CW.

As far as your harmonic balancer, if it is 30+ years old, I would probably replace it anyway. I hate it when the damper shoots off while you are trying to show off your motor. However, if the timing mark is correct and it is not wobbly, it probably is not the issue you have here. Make sure it is a 28 oz.

Droptop

I read some where else , that some one took theirs to a machine shop and had theirs re-balanced to a 28 oz flywheel ( I know everything on the net is real , right). I also have seen many pictures of new and used 50 oz flywheels that do not have holes drilled in them. So I put 1 and 1 together.

Tnfasbak...

After reading the link provided I didn't get how you came to the conclusion it is a 1971 351W flywheel. I see that my option is "possibility #5", but I don't know what that means. Can you tell me where I can get the same information? I am not doubting you in any way, I just like to learn, and find information.

Thanks All

Jeff
No its a 1974 model motor is all I meant to say. The link I found later was just good reading sorry for the confusion.

****IMPORTANT****

Someone please correct me if I am incorrect...

When my machinist gave me my flywheel, I was told it was not only balanced individually, but with all of the rotating assemblies.

As a result, the flywheel needed to be put on a certain way. I do not recall exactly, but it may just have been to make sure once it is mounted, but not tightened down, to rotate it fully clockwise or counterclockwise. Then tighten it down.

Looking from behind the flywheel toward the front I don't know if the flywheel rotates CW or CCW. I am guessing CW.

As far as your harmonic balancer, if it is 30+ years old, I would probably replace it anyway. I hate it when the damper shoots off while you are trying to show off your motor. However, if the timing mark is correct and it is not wobbly, it probably is not the issue you have here. Make sure it is a 28 oz.
If you can tell me the correct way to put it on I would be very great full.

I did not build this ( or any other ) motor. So I am a novice in these matters.

I did find a Chilton manual in the back seat( does that makes me an expert!) . :D:D:D

I am coming to the conclusion I will need to purchase a new flywheel, and a balancer.

Thanks

Jeff

Droptop

Tnfasbak...

Thanks All

Jeff
No its a 1974 model motor is all I meant to say. The link I found later was just good reading sorry for the confusion.
No worries. Any info I can get I am very thankful for.

Thanks

Jeff

This is going to be difficult without contacting owner/machinist.

1. I would suspect there to be some type of alignment mark indicating how the flywheel should be installed. If not, then you are kind of stuck not knowing how to align it.

2. I would be curious if the flywheel you have is balanced. Don't know how much this service would cost. $10??? If it is off by a lot(I don't know what a lot is), maybe the flywheel IS supposed to go on a certain way to balance the rotating assembly. If this is the case, buying a new flywheel that is balanced will not solve your problem.

3. If your flywheel is balanced, than it probably is not your problem..unless it is not a 28 oz match to your damper.

ugh.

The holes in the crank and flywheel are not evenly spaced. That ensures the the flywheel can only be put on in one position, the correct one. Chuck

The holes in the crank and flywheel are not evenly spaced. That ensures the the flywheel can only be put on in one position, the correct one. Chuck
+1.

When you put the flywheel on, is there still jiggle room? Like, maybe 2 or 3 degrees?

After reading all the great replies and much research online, I have ordered a new 28 oz flywheel and balancer. I should have them later this week and will try and install them on Saturday or Sunday. I am pulling the motor to clean the engine bay and replace the oil pan gasket( it is pretty oily under the motor and looks to be coming from the oil pan).

I hope to have it all back together by Sunday.

I will post an after report as to what I have from there ......

Time for a minor update...

I was close so I pulled the motor to replace the oil pan gasket and clean the motor and motor bay.

I pulled the pan and this is what I saw..

motor 012.jpg

I then rolled the motor over to do the valve gaskets and I found this.

motor 022.jpg

So I wonder which of the three is my vibration?

The flywheel, bad valve spring or the (possibly) out of balance rods.

Seriously thinking about tearing the whole thing down and starting over.

Jeff

Back