VIN Mismatch - Advice Please

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Last year I purchased a '73 Mach 1. I purchased it as a non-numbers matching 'H' code car... that seemed to have a swapped out interior, engine, tranny... according to the Marti Report for the dash VIN.

I thought that the only original thing was the color (Blue Glow Metallic), however I took another look at the Marti report recently and the original color for the VIN was Medium Aqua. This seems impossible since I stripped the original paint off the floor pans last summer to lay down POR 15 on them, and they were metallic blue throughout.

I remembered the build sheets that I found (in poor shape). I carefully examined them again today and the VIN is different on the build sheet, and it lists the car as a 'Q' code car. The engine in the car is a 351c with 4v open chamber heads (I still need to check the numbers to see if it matches the VIN).

I ran the VIN off the build sheets through the Canadian and US stolen car database and it came up clear... which leads me to wonder why someone would swap the dash and VIN on this car? It's been on the road regularly since 2005 and has had a couple owners since then (which I guess I could try contacting). Ideally I would like to have it registered with its correct VIN, but I'm wondering it if is worth the hassle, and if I'd be opening up a can of worms in terms of finding out something about the car that would not sit well with me.

I'm curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and what their course of action was.

It sounds like someone needed a new dash pad, and forgot to swap the original VIN plate over to the new piece.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you were able to get the car registered and everything.

You can always check the door tag, buck tag, and pull the fenders and check the shock towers for matching VINs (which should match the build sheet, provided the doors haven't been replaced during restoration as well. The shock towers should match, however (unless it got a new front clip like mine... ;) ).

We ran into a similar situation in which the door tag did not match the 71 dash VIN. In the dismantling process we pulled the VIN off the chassis once the driver side fender was removed. We confirmed it match the dash VIN and the driver side door was from a 73.

Also, the interior on our 71 is from a 73 so there's a chance the build sheet you have might have come from a different car. Best way to be sure is to pull the driver side fender and find out. Best of luck! ;)

Rich

Last year I purchased a '73 Mach 1. I purchased it as a non-numbers matching 'H' code car... that seemed to have a swapped out interior, engine, tranny... according to the Marti Report for the dash VIN.

I thought that the only original thing was the color (Blue Glow Metallic), however I took another look at the Marti report recently and the original color for the VIN was Medium Aqua. This seems impossible since I stripped the original paint off the floor pans last summer to lay down POR 15 on them, and they were metallic blue throughout.

I remembered the build sheets that I found (in poor shape). I carefully examined them again today and the VIN is different on the build sheet, and it lists the car as a 'Q' code car. The engine in the car is a 351c with 4v open chamber heads (I still need to check the numbers to see if it matches the VIN).

I ran the VIN off the build sheets through the Canadian and US stolen car database and it came up clear... which leads me to wonder why someone would swap the dash and VIN on this car? It's been on the road regularly since 2005 and has had a couple owners since then (which I guess I could try contacting). Ideally I would like to have it registered with its correct VIN, but I'm wondering it if is worth the hassle, and if I'd be opening up a can of worms in terms of finding out something about the car that would not sit well with me.

I'm curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and what their course of action was.
If you found the build sheet in a seat, it could be the seat is from another car ...but the dash VIN is easy to replace, you just slide in a metal dash with the VIN attached from another Mustang.

Maybe they changed the VIN so they could have a clear/good title so they could register it. Removing a front fender and checking the stamped partial VIN on the frame near the shock tower will setttle the mystery. But if the car has been registered with the wrong VIN...BIG can of worms.

Jim

The build sheet was on the floor under the rubber insulation... It was 'one' with the floor because it was there for so long and some moisture had gotten to it.

The dash pad seems to be original... As the color doesn't match the Marti report for the VIN (but matches the interior). The doors are not orginal as the were originally a green metallic, so no help there.

There is no buck tag, however the car had some work done to that area of the rad support, it was dented (light accident?) and straighted out. So it could have been lost/removed?

Either way, I still need to check the VIN on the frame (when it warms up outside). But it seems like the VIN swap was intentional and not an accident... Perhaps the car was in an accident and had a salvage title (not sure how that works)?

The build sheet was on the floor under the rubber insulation... It was 'one' with the floor because it was there for so long and some moisture had gotten to it.

The dash pad seems to be original... As the color doesn't match the Marti report for the VIN (but matches the interior). The doors are not orginal as the were originally a green metallic, so no help there.

There is no buck tag, however the car had some work done to that area of the rad support, it was dented (light accident?) and straighted out. So it could have been lost/removed?

Either way, I still need to check the VIN on the frame (when it warms up outside). But it seems like the VIN swap was intentional and not an accident... Perhaps the car was in an accident and had a salvage title (not sure how that works)?
Could very well be. Providing the shock towers haven't been changed, they should definitely match the build sheet, unless... it's the wrong build sheet (which would just be weird). If the dash pad and shock towers match each other, and match the title, I'd just be happy with it and get a repro build sheet from Marti based on the shock tower VIN.

I will take a look at the shock towers tomorrow and see if I have that part of the build sheet as I wasn't able to salvage all of it.

You'll actually have to pull off the fenders to get to the VINs stamped on the top of the shock towers. Not exactly a quick job. But like you, I'd want to know for sure.

Good luck with it.

You'll actually have to pull off the fenders to get to the VINs stamped on the top of the shock towers. Not exactly a quick job. But like you, I'd want to know for sure.

Good luck with it.
In that case it will have to wait until spring as I only have a tent garage. Also, it turns out I do not have that part of the build sheet. However, I do have the radiator serial number on the build sheet... Will this be on the actual radiator, or on the support (I know there is a number on the support beam)?

In that case it will have to wait until spring as I only have a tent garage. Also, it turns out I do not have that part of the build sheet. However, I do have the radiator serial number on the build sheet... Will this be on the actual radiator, or on the support (I know there is a number on the support beam)?
On the support iirc. Mine used to be there but was torn off a long time ago. :-/

Rich

Well I pulled the fender off this morning and the number matches the dash vin. Which is great news. I don't know how that build sheet got in there, perhaps when they were putting in the interior it was stuck to the bottom of the insulation... as for the interior paint not being correct, I did find media in the crevices from the car being media blasted so it was probably stripped bare and repainted.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Well I pulled the fender off this morning and the number matches the dash vin. Which is great news. I don't know how that build sheet got in there, perhaps when they were putting in the interior it was stuck to the bottom of the insulation... as for the interior paint not being correct, I did find media in the crevices from the car being media blasted so it was probably stripped bare and repainted.

Whew, dodged a bullet there.

Awesome news!

While you have the fender off I'd take a picture of the VIN# and keep in on file with the rest of the records on your Mustang. If you ever want to sell it, that kind of documentation/verification can make the deal go much smoother, there are so many early Mustangs where the dash VIN# has been changed to go with a title.

Jim

Awesome news!

While you have the fender off I'd take a picture of the VIN# and keep in on file with the rest of the records on your Mustang. If you ever want to sell it, that kind of documentation/verification can make the deal go much smoother, there are so many early Mustangs where the dash VIN# has been changed to go with a title.

Jim
I second that!

Great work pulling the fender and verifying, Machlovin. I'll admit, my gf and I were obsessing about it for over a week until we verified ours, lol. One of the fun things to do while bringing these beasts back to life. :)

Rich

When I read your first post, I (probably like several others) thought you might be in store for some real negative "news." It is GREAT to hear you do not have a major issue with what you thought might be a VIN mismatch.

"Back in the day", a LOT of odd situations often occurred on the assembly line so I am never really surprised by "oddities."

Again, good news!

BT

I remember a guy a few years back finding a couple of build sheets in his car. Must have been quitting time on a Friday!

Back