Vintage 1972 California number plates - What is correct.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Guys,
I live in Melbourne, Australia and would like to order a pair of custom / replica California number plates for my July 72 Mach 1.
I found this site that can create them and ship to me.
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/133...1&variation0=2985143945&variation1=2985143941Can someone please tell me what the correct wording should be for a California delivered car?
I assume yellow letters on a blue background. Should it have 19 in the top left corner and 72 in the top right with California in the middle at the top?
Should it have anything else? Should it have any stickers on it anywhere?
At some point in the 80's the car moved to Texas. When a car changes states, does the number plate also change to the new state or does the original plates stay on the car?

Per the original documents I have the number plate should be 207 GGV. First sold 29th Aug, 1972

Any advice would be appreciated.
1686641663694.png

I have a '71 Mach 1, and run the original license plates the car was sold with from Russ Davis Ford, in Covina , California. You are correct, the California license plate of that time were blue, with a sort of "school bus yellow" lettering. The registration sticker indents were not imbossed with a year, as were the earlier black / yellow plates, so were simply flat rectangular embossments. Click on photo to enlarge. The rear plate will have the year registration sticker on the upper right embossed position, and a month sticker ( missing in this photo) in the upper left.

Attachments

• IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1
Thanks for the info. Most appreciated. So if I was to get "original looking" number plates, I should get no numbers in the top corners, just rectangle embossments to enable stickers to be placed. Thanks again!

On my original 73 plates, I have CA embossed in the month recess, nothing embossed in the year recess. Maybe it was something they started on 73 model year cars?

Back