Vinyl hood stripes question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Wondering if anyone have used the vinyl hood stripes for there flat hood? Any opinions? maybe some pictures?

Alex

Doing a vinyl wrap on my stanger.

If you can find a stripe "kit" you will be better off Because...

Bulk vinyl from the suppliers as far as I know comes off of a 5 foot wide printer

thus I have to buy a 5x7 foot chunk for my 3x6.3 front fender.

Regards

Paul

Hi Alex,

When i bought my '73 Vert back in mid 2011, the previous owner had used a local stripes company in his home city to put a vinyl decal over the original flat hood that was on the car when i bought it.

The design was improvised and not copied per say. I thought it looked fairly good, but i had my heart set on moving to a Nasa hood with painted black matt relief. Here is a photo of how it used to look.

1971 MUSTANG GOLD 011.jpg

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Colored vinyl won't be a problem if you either keep it in the inset like Greg's car is, or to the outside of it.

The issue otherwise will be with the little compound curves near the windshield in the inset. Vinyl won't make and keep that rounded area without relieving (cutting) it. As is shrinks over time (and it will), the vinyl will lift out of that area, making a bubble.

Flat areas and gentile simple curves like the peak that runs front/rear, are no problem at all for most applications.

Use a quality brand (3M, Avery, etc.) "cast" material, not "calendared":

http://www.signindustry.com/vinyl/articles/2010-03-15-VinylCastVsCalendered.php3

Vinyl can be purchased in various width rolls. My machine is 24", and I buy either 15" or 24" depending on the job. Lengths commonly are available in 10 yards (30 linear feet) or 50 yards. I rarely need(ed) anything wider, but often ordered custom width stripes for boats and such down to 1/4" from a wholesale supplier out of state.

I haven't handled any of the wrap material yet, and I understand that it does "tool" nicer than the old school colored vinyl that I am accustomed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that stripe kit, Waterlife. It's reminiscent of the Sprint and original Eleanor. ::thumb::

Totally agree with MotoArts - gotta use the lines of the body to help with the placement of the custom styling (stripes, etc.), unless you're going for a completely contrasting theme, then all bets are off. Missing the body lines by just an inch or so with stripes just seems like 'coloring outside of the lines' to me, which also strikes me as unprofessional. Not to mention the physical issues with the striping materials over time as they shrink, fade, lift-up, crack, split, etc., staying within the uncomplicated surface areas also adds to the longevity of the application.

Greg - wow... SO glad you went with a NASA hood. If mine would've had that pattern on the hood, I think I would've peeled it off as one of the first things on the list. No doubt they did a nice job applying it, but cutting that shape... not so much, IMHO. But, that's just me.

Latest posts

Back