Weak / irregular blinker and hazard operation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
My R/L blinkers as well as my hazard blinkers are pretty weak and irregularly in blink timing. The lights go from about 50% to 75%(max) in my opinion. They is a low amount of differentiation in brightness. I would expect them to go from 50-100% like when brakes are applied. Is this a relay issue perhaps?

Make sure you have a good chassis ground. The original style negative battery cable attaches at the right front of the engine block and also is attached to the right inner fender apron. This ensures a good ground to the body and engine. Check your ground connection on the taillight sockets, and make sure the contacts in the sockets are not corroded.

Good point - makes sense. Looking at my ground connection it looks it could be improved quite a bit. What the heck is the sensor right next to it? Its not connected atm.

Attachments

• IMG20240318112929-EDIT.jpg
    IMG20240318112929-EDIT.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4
Appears to be a noise suppressor used to reduce radio interference. Is your Mach 1 an early production car (late 1971 date)? I thought Ford stopped using the suppressor after the 71 model year. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will let us know.

Hmm - not sure how that would work, noise suppressor? EMI? - sounds like it may be another of those "not necessary items"?
April 72 manf date - for my vehicle

It's a capacitor, and yes, they work for EMI caused by the ignition, generator/alternator, flasher, windshield wiper motor, and heater fan motor. They were a popular add-on aftermarket item back when most people listened to AM radios and their car didn't come with one from the manufacturer.

It's a capacitor, and yes, they work for EMI caused by the ignition, generator/alternator, flasher, windshield wiper motor, and heater fan motor. They were a popular add-on aftermarket item back when most people listened to AM radios and their car didn't come with one from the manufacturer.
Thanks, Don.

My R/L blinkers as well as my hazard blinkers are pretty weak and irregularly in blink timing. The lights go from about 50% to 75%(max) in my opinion. They is a low amount of differentiation in brightness. I would expect them to go from 50-100% like when brakes are applied. Is this a relay issue perhaps?
I had this same problem but only the left tail light and blinker were dim. After cleaning all the corrosion off the sockets and the bulbs, put it back together and still the same problem. Like others here said clean the ground connections. I did all that and still the same problem. So I broke out the factory schematics. The lamp power goes through your Hazard switch for one side of the 1157 bulb. Since I have to have it now and it was already broken...I removed the harness, drilled the rivets out, cleaned the connections, soldered the loose connections and put it back together with 4 40 screws. There is also a fusible link for ground wires near the left tail light, but in my lifetime I have only seen one of these fail. You have to remember that 2 OHMS of resistance in a 12 volt system will cut the amps in half. Amps = volts/resistance. A good meter is essential.

Thanks for the good insight - I think it is good advice to ensure that all connections and grounds are solid and an ohm meter is def a core tool to have.

I was meaning to report back also on progress.

I did clean up and ensure my battery to chassis ground was improved and the overall lights brightened dramatically (Thanks Sheriff41!). My turn signal blinkers are bright and regular now however the hazards are irregular in timing. I bought two new relays so will start with replacing the hazard relay and see if all is good. They are cheap so I'll replace the other as well since they are in the same location.

There is also a fusible link for ground wires near the left tail light, but in my lifetime I have only seen one of these fail. You have to remember that 2 OHMS of resistance in a 12 volt system will cut the amps in half. Amps = volts/resistance. A good meter is essential.
I have never seen a fusible link in a tail section, ever.

Thanks for the good insight - I think it is good advice to ensure that all connections and grounds are solid and an ohm meter is def a core tool to have.

I was meaning to report back also on progress.

I did clean up and ensure my battery to chassis ground was improved and the overall lights brightened dramatically (Thanks Sheriff41!). My turn signal blinkers are bright and regular now however the hazards are irregular in timing. I bought two new relays so will start with replacing the hazard relay and see if all is good. They are cheap so I'll replace the other as well since they are in the same location.
My flashers are in two different locations
One above the glove box which I believe is the blinker one and one down by the steering column which I believe is for the flashers.

Back