Weather stripping replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'72 Fastback (Mach Badging)
'06 Coupe (Mach Tribute)
Hey Guys,

I bought a full set of weather strip (Cat whisker, whatever you wish to call it) for my '72. I was able to pry out the old strips on the exterior strip but on the inside, a metal "staple" is used to adhere the rubber to the door trim. Since my new strips have holes precut into rubber, and new holes do not line up with old staple holes, I am curious what others have used to adhere. Is it best to use a metal staple of some sort and drill holes to match, use some sort of adhesive, or perhaps 3-M automotive double sided adhesive tape? If staple, what type was used and where can they be purchased?

I am sure somebody else out there has run into this and hope they can shed some light on the best method to do this.

In addition, has anybody found a write up detailing how to disassemble rigid rear window? I have to pull the rear window to replace exterior weather strip.

Any ideas or experienced instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

IMG01428-20110425-1713.jpg

IMG01429-20110425-1714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Don. I thought they would be included too for as much as the kit cost. The important thing is I have rubber touching both sides of glass now so progress is being made. I think I am going to have to put the replace of the rear windows on hold to do at same time as roof rail rubber.

For some reason, a past owner changed the driver side roof rail rubber but not the passenger side so I need to replace that as well. It normally comes with both sides so I suppose I will just change out both so at least that will be one less thing to do.

Seems that it is always something... :)

Hello there!....

Well... i did the same weatherstrip kit istalation on my sportsroof and i bought the kit in NPD...

Even if i hate every not NOS parts because they are horrible fitting and finishing, this kit was not that bad... However, i had to drill some holes as Don says because you have to attach the weatherstrip with the staples...

The roof rail rubber is the same... not that great as a nos rubber (my car still had the original rubber when i bought it) but it is a necesary way to go... If i were you, i change both sides so you can have the same rubber in the car...

I dont recall the quarter window being hard to install so, i think if you can manage to take it off and then reintall it in no time...

Back