Replacing gasket on pop open gas cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJHStang

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
[url=https://ibb.co/b33Pn4f][img]https://i.ibb.co/6ZZm5Kd/20190723-095138-1.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://freeonlinedice.com/]black and red dice[/url]
I have prior posts on gasket replacement for my 71 Mach 1 and thanks everyone for the help.
I have found some neoprene rubber to make my own. The original thickness is between 1/16” and 1/8” .
The best I can measure which makes it hard to find. The rubber I found is 1/8” hoping it is not to thick.
I will find out.
My question is has anyone found the best way to get the center hole of the gasket to fit under the center of the gas cap?
Just looking without taking off the old gasket it must fit under the center of the gas cap.
If not explaining myself good I have attached a picture.j

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpeg
    IMG_0989.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 0
You might find that too thick to be honest, but worth a try. The top "washer" if you like is fixed as you know. Cut out the old one and clean the gap between the top and bottom. Try to get an idea of the inner diameter between the base and washer (for want of a better term) and cut the rubber just a little larger to allow for any "squeeze" there will be with that thickness rubber. Use dish soap or similar as a lubricant and gradually work the rubber around.
To be honest, I'm not sure neoprene will last long, but I could be wrong.
Good luck,

1/16" works better than 1/8" and most importantly - still seals. In order to remove, just tug on the old one. It will slip out from under the "cone" in the middle. Then just work it around. Do the opposite to install. There is some stretch to the material and it won't rip unless you pull WAY harder than needed. If you run into trouble with the 1/8" I might have enough 1/16" material to send you one. I already sent one of these to another member on here.

.............. but are they gas proof???
The typical materials used for gasoline are NBR or Nitrile Rubber or Buna-N, and Viton. Neoprene in theory has moderate resistance to gasoline and may work in this application where it is not constantly submerged. Further, the fuel system will still work if it fails which reduces risks. However, since there are many grades of each of these rubbers you have to do your homework.

The typical materials used for gasoline are NBR or Nitrile Rubber or Buna-N, and Viton. Neoprene in theory has moderate resistance to gasoline and may work in this application where it is not constantly submerged. Further, the fuel system will still work if it fails which reduces risks. However, since there are many grades of each of these rubbers you have to do your homework.
I decided to make my own. I found 3/32” thick neoprene 12” x 12” sheet on Amazon for less than $5. My existing gasket measured 3/32” using a multimeter. Found that the diameter of a can of soup is just slightly larger than 2.5”. I marked it on the sheet of rubber and cut it using a exacto knife. Then found a socket that was an inch diameter used it for measuring and cutting the center hole. Not perfect but it seals very well. I stretched the rubber around the center and with a thin flathead screwdriver push under the lip.
I have attached a few pictures and below is the link to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Comm-Grade-N...6&sprefix=3/32+neoprene+rubber,aps,175&sr=8-4

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

I decided to make my own. I found 3/32” thick neoprene 12” x 12” sheet on Amazon for less than $5. My existing gasket measured 3/32” using a multimeter. Found that the diameter of a can of soup is just slightly larger than 2.5”. I marked it on the sheet of rubber and cut it using a exacto knife. Then found a socket that was an inch diameter used it for measuring and cutting the center hole. Not perfect but it seals very well. I stretched the rubber around the center and with a thin flathead screwdriver push under the lip.
I have attached a few pictures and below is the link to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Comm-Grade-N...6&sprefix=3/32+neoprene+rubber,aps,175&sr=8-4

What I read. Neoprene is popular due to its unique combination of properties and has led to its use in thousands of applications in diverse environments. Neoprene is a polymer that provides moderate oil & gasoline resistance, very good resistance to ozone & sunlight, excellent adhesion to fabric & metals, good resistance to abrasion & flex cracking and very good resistance to alkalis & acids

What I read. Neoprene is popular due to its unique combination of properties and has led to its use in thousands of applications in diverse environments. Neoprene is a polymer that provides moderate oil & gasoline resistance, very good resistance to ozone & sunlight, excellent adhesion to fabric & metals, good resistance to abrasion & flex cracking and very good resistance to alkalis & acids
......... and why they make diving suits ( dry and wet suits) out of it.

Following this thread last week I purchased some black neoprene sheet (from Amazon) and cut out a few gaskets. Mine fit great.

I offer the others I have to the group as Xmas presents if anyone wants them. I mean you get 10 gaskets out of a $10.00 sheet so a buck each is a cheap Xmas present to fellow 71-73 folks.

Seasons greeting Ron
Merritt Island FL.

In case it wasn’t clear in my post, I will send one FREE just send me you address and I will put it in an envelope to you.
Again, Merry Xmas from Florida.
Ron🎅
How did you measure and cut yours?

Back