Weekend Mustang Plans?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
So what are your weekend Mustang plans? Car Cruise? Car Show? Turning wrench? Let's hear it!

No cruising for me this weekend, the driver's seat is out getting a tear repaired. While that is out, I am also working on the horn button and brake light switch. A few other projects this weekend are installing new stainless tranny cooler lines and cleaning the nooks and crannies on the engine. Migh install the t-bars when they come on Monday.

There is a big show that I want to go to next weekend so I have a lot of cleaning and polishing to do before next Sunday! I also need to take a few photos of some little trim pieces I need to get from Ohio Mustang and maybe make a video of my exhaust just for fun! :D

I yanked the engine and tranny out last weekend - so this week is tear-down of the engine at least. The thing's locked up tight, so it'll be slow-going getting it turned over and the pistons knocked out.

I also removed the sorta stock exhaust and tossed it on the scrap pile - the P.O. had installed some 24" glass packs and Blackjack headers. The headers were rusted through on the bottoms where the tubes were bashed in from being airborne more than once (oil pan's that way too - no holes though).

The driver side front wheel was skewed like it had way too much camber because the outer wheel bearing was gone. I pulled the wheel nut off with my fingers, removed the caliper and paper-thin rotor and found a very intact spindle. So, I cleaned it up, grabbed some wheel bearings from the parts house, and put the front wheel back together so it'll at least roll without hassle now. I'll be completely rebuilding the entire front suspension someday, but at least I won't have to worry about this wheel falling off while moving it around the yard.

Well the local mustang club was going to the strip but I had to help a friend move.{the one that helps me out with the car couldn't say no hahaha;).And a small problem has arisen I have one cylinder misfiring so I will have to check the spark plugs.they are new but I might be running a little rich so I'll have to check things out.

I'm still tearing the front suspension apart. I'm hung up tryiing to get a coil spring compresser. No one in town (I live in a fairly small town) has one for rent, and NAPA wants $70 if I buy it and use it probably one time in my life.

I'm gonna check with the shop teacher at the high school and see if he has one.

I'm still tearing the front suspension apart. I'm hung up tryiing to get a coil spring compresser. No one in town (I live in a fairly small town) has one for rent, and NAPA wants $70 if I buy it and use it probably one time in my life.

Just a thought but one time I was in a pinch for one and I got all my buddies vise grips and clamped them on each turn of the spring I had like a half dozen pairs on there and it worked fine! LOL just be careful if you do that it probably isn't the safest way.

AD

Waiting.. :dodgy:

I was supposed to get a windshield on friday but apparently a mach 1 is a hardtop not a coupe lol. The glass is different from the fastback to the "coupe". So monday I'll have windshield, and have to wait till thrusday to machine my manifold, wait another week to have the injector bungs welded in then I'll be fuel injected :).

So what are your weekend Mustang plans? Car Cruise? Car Show? Turning wrench? Let's hear it!
None of that here. My oldest son (7 years) had his tonsils and adenoids removed today and a tube put in one ear. It is also my wifes' birthday. So, the garage is the "forbidden city" right now.

Went for a 2 hour spin this afternoon great weather here. Since I'm done messing with the vacuum advance I was just able to drive it and enjoy my tunes.

Just a thought but one time I was in a pinch for one and I got all my buddies vise grips and clamped them on each turn of the spring I had like a half dozen pairs on there and it worked fine! LOL just be careful if you do that it probably isn't the safest way.

AD
Thanks, Dave. I'll keep that in mind if the shop teacher doesn't have one.

Doc

AD
That sounds kind of scary. The front coils carry a lot of energy, far more than I would trust to Vice Grips. Please be careful because this could very seriously injure you.

We had our big weekend cruise the 28th street Metro Cruise. Cruised all day, saw some friends, went to a cookout, got sunburned. Had a GREAT day capped off with a 50th b-day party for the wife's best friend. Cruised Friday night. Visited with out of town relatives today. Absolutely beautiful weather. It was a great weekend.

I got the engine torn down - fortunately, none of the cylinder walls look bad and the crank and connecting rods look usable as well. SCORE!!

Now, I just gotta take the heads apart, order the rebuild kit, and send the block, heads, crank, and new pistons over to the machine shop. Probably have the heads apart in 2 weekends (lots of domestic chores and stuff next weekend).

Nice! I don't know how you guys autocross? I'd end up getting lost in the cones and making an ass outta myself! LOL!

I got a little work done on the Mach 1 but we ended up breaking the old Grant steering wheel trying to get the horn button out so we ordered a new one from Summit along with a nice Mustang horn button! Looks like I'll have a late night this week putting the steering wheel and t-bars on.

Back