What are your least favorite design features of the 71-73s?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things... First is the length of the nose. Too much overhang. But mostly its the placement of the wheels in the front wheelwell. Check out this pic of mine.

2139b.JPG

With the 20's you can really see that the wheel needs to be pushed forward in the wheelwell for the proper aesthetic, much like the way people are centering the front wheels in the '53 to '56 Ford trucks. Yup, I can't look at a side view of our Mustangs and ignore this. Drives me crazy!

Wow Kurt! I never saw that before. Cool! I still wish they were 3 red panels that were all operational.
Agreed on the lens panels - it'd be nice if the lenses were reproduced with a proper center lens rather than a reflector and the reverse light. Something like this would be nice. No body modifications necessary:

vwr02w.jpg

I dont really care for the shelby/ cougar/ tbird lights. Thd out side edge of each light is jarringly not following the contours of the surrounding panels...giving it away as a mod.

Now, for the best custom look, the taillights from a 70 Torino GT would look phenomonal. I have zero photoshop skills, but if someone here was enterprising I bet they could cobble that up quick.
You have a point, though the idea is fantastic - and it is as close as one could ask for without major fabrication.

Someone say "Photoshop?"

ndu34l.jpg

Sorry, Kit - definitely not feeling those Torino lights here. I tried filling the entire panel with them too, and it looked worse.

It looks like something George Barris would do. And I don't mean that in a good way.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, when I say least favorite "design features", I'm not talking about about general quality or technology issues or lack thereof (like rust issues, poor wiring and electricals, etc...) Those kind of items are just typical of the auto industry in general when our cars were made.

I am talking about clear design or asthetic choices made by Ford that you would change:

To preface my list, I must first say that of the more than 50+ cars I have owned in my lifetime, this is only one of two that I have never gotten tired of looking at. (The other is a Pantera). I love just about everything about this car, so it was pretty difficult for me to come up with something I would change, but...here goes:

1) Rearward visibility...horrible blind spots and near-useless rear window. But...it looks so good I wouldn't change it! That's the price you gotta' pay to be stylish' I suppose.

2) Front seats are pretty lame. No support and they don't hold you well. Pretty standard for the era though.

3) manual rear windows should roll down on fastbacks

4) mach 1 and BOSS exterior trim should have been more exclusive to each model.

5) BOSS 351, 351 ram-air and 429 ram-air should each have had unique hood paint treatment.

and those are all a stretch for me, I really like it as is.
Not having shoulder harnesses on front seatbelts on the convertibles and roll bar option ie, strictly safety items.

I gotta' say I like that photoshop with the Torino lights! Center it a bit, black out the surrounding panel and I think its a winner. There is even room for some ribbon reverse lights underneath.

To me, it almost looks evolutionary...like something Ford might have done with later year versions of the car had it been kept in production.

Sorry, Kit - definitely not feeling those Torino lights here. I tried filling the entire panel with them too, and it looked worse.

It looks like something George Barris would do. And I don't mean that in a good way.

-Kurt
@ George Barris in an otherly good way of design~ FYI he got Sonny and Cher a custom mustang for their movie etc....w/label above outside driver door handle and faux leopardy skin interior. To me, a bit over the top gawdy! Will post on my photo of a photo on my photo album a little later.

I look forward to the day we can '3d print' tail lights of our choosing. :)
3D printing is over-hyped. The materials cure via UV. Your taillights wouldn't last 6 months before cracking.

I'll stick to good old injection molded plastic.

-Kurt

I look forward to the day we can '3d print' tail lights of our choosing. :)
3D printing is over-hyped. The materials cure via UV. Your taillights wouldn't last 6 months before cracking.

I'll stick to good old injection molded plastic.

-Kurt
For now they do... I may have to wait for 'the day' but it will come...

In that Torino photoshop, I think if you move the panel down a bit, so that the bottom of the lights are even with the bottom of the 1/4 extensions, and then black out the remaining portion of the tail panel...you might have a winner.

I've gotta say the side mirrors look cool but all I can see is the hump in the quarters.
Driven a LC-based Challenger recently?

In that Torino photoshop, I think if you move the panel down a bit, so that the bottom of the lights are even with the bottom of the 1/4 extensions, and then black out the remaining portion of the tail panel...you might have a winner.
I'll play around with it, but the sharp edges of the Tornino lights won't work in the rounded corners. In reality, one would be chopping that up beyond belief to make it work.

-Kurt

The steering wheel has always bothered me as to how big the diameter is; probably because I'm tall, at 6'4". If I had tilt wheel, I guess that would help.

More leg room would be a blessing too.

I had a 69 Firebird before the 73 convert and if I remember correctly, the Firebird's interior had a better quality to the look and feel and not so much cheap plastic. But I suppose the Firebird's were a bit higher in cost as compared to the Mustangs of the time.

Irregardless, I've really enjoyed owning my 73 convert for over 40 years now, especially the great style of the exterior. I never get tired of looking at the vert.

THE REAR WINDOW.....it looks cool but I refuse to reverse in tight spaces without a spotter

Going all the way back to 1969 I think the convertible should have been part of the MACH1 option pkg. I also have issue with the tail lights not so much the shape but I would have preferred all three lens lite when turned on and the brake light separate. I also would have liked power Windows standard because I can't reach the passengers side to roll down the window. Maybe I just have short arms so it's not an issue with anybody else. The visibility out the back window on the sports roof is ( to say the least) difficult. Other then these the car is awesome. I love the lines and sculpting. I love the cowless hood and hideaway windshield wipers. I especially love the low mean look of the car from the front.

Going all the way back to 1969 I think the convertible should have been part of the MACH1 option pkg. I also have issue with the tail lights not so much the shape but I would have preferred all three lens lite when turned on and the brake light separate. I also would have liked power Windows standard because I can't reach the passengers side to roll down the window. Maybe I just have short arms so it's not an issue with anybody else. The visibility out the back window on the sports roof is ( to say the least) difficult. Other then these the car is awesome. I love the lines and sculpting. I love the cowless hood and hideaway windshield wipers. I especially love the low mean look of the car from the front.
I have power windows but if I didn't with my long arms I still could not reach the handle. Not to mention adjusting the passenger sport mirror. Mine won't stay adjusted and the original glass looks like someone hit it with a buffer loaded with sandpaper. Mirror is one of those things I need to replace.

Back