What heads do I have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the date and a better shot of the pistons.  Also, There doesnt appear to be anything stamped on the back of the block.

9-H-16 1969 August 16th. Other head will likely be different, but hopefully close. "A" is January, "M" is December. NO "I" used.

The numbers on the back of the block are hard to see for sure. For the longest time, I did not think there was a VIN on mine until when the engine was out for the second rebuild, the old paint was sanded off. Then it could be seen, but still very feint. Mine matched!!

If I pull the other valve cover would that date code tell me if I have a matched set of heads or would I need to pull the other head off and look up under it to tell? Im not pulling the other head just to look for a part number but it would be good to know if they were matched. It would also be cool to know what kind of compression I have with these heads. I have that big thumper roller cam that at one time I was going to use but afraid the motor doesn't have the compression needed for it.

I got the head, headers, intake manifold back together yesterday. Still have to get the accessories bolted back up and the carb installed. Really hoping it runs good. This will be the first time it has run without a blown head gasket and with a edelbrock torquer intake with 650 dbl pumper compared to that stock cast iron 4v intake with 600cfm vac sec carb.

Hopefully there is a VIN stamped on the back of the block I just cant see it. I guess if I dont know for sure I cant advertise it as a numbers matching Q code like my Marti report says.

I'm guessing between 9.5 and 9.9 on the compression ratio.

The only way you'll be able to advertise it as a Q code is to get some CJ heads, and then you'll need to verify that it's a 4-bolt block.

That said, someone else may have helped you decide what to do with your car, you can either find the parts to make it as original as possible. If it's not the original block you can just take it so far. Or, make it your car and do what you want with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping hearing it run will reinvigorate me. I just dont have another 10 year project in me! My 71 vette took 10 years and I lost interest in it when it was 90% done. I'm still feeling the ich for a used 2018 GT premium. ?

If I pull the other valve cover would that date code tell me if I have a matched set of heads or would I need to pull the other head off and look up under it to tell?  Im not pulling the other head just to look for a part number but it would be good to know if they were matched.  It would also be cool to know what kind of compression I have with these heads.  I have that big thumper roller cam that at one time I was going to use but afraid the motor doesn't have the compression needed for it.

I got the head, headers, intake manifold back together yesterday.  Still have to get the accessories bolted back up and the carb installed.  Really hoping it runs good.  This will be the first time it has run without a blown head gasket and with a edelbrock torquer intake with 650 dbl pumper compared to that stock cast iron 4v intake with 600cfm vac sec carb.

Hopefully there is a VIN stamped on the back of the block I just cant see it.  I guess if I dont know for sure I cant advertise it as a numbers matching Q code like my Marti report says.
Too late now, but you could have used a mirror in the valley to see the casting info on the other head. That's how I did mine, mirror and camera. If your date code is 9 something, I think you're pretty sure they match. I can't see someone putting odd mismatched heads on...……….. can I?

Once it's all back together, you could do a cylinder pressure check. I think that would tell you. What do you think Don?

"I can't see someone putting odd mismatched heads on...……….. can I?"

I hope you're right!
Dont take nothing for granted.... When my engine was stripped down i had differant valve lengths and differant spring lengths with varying amounts of washers thrown in for good luck. The fun didnt end there. When the new valves went in i realised the new valves had three grooves and the old valves had two grooves which meant i had to wait another seven weeks for collets from America :whistling:

Back