What heads do I have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out I had a blown hand gasket.  My car is supposed to be a Q code 4v.  Is that what these heads are ?  Closed chambers? Preferred head?

They look like 1970 "D0AE-N" CC heads. Between the springs on the top side, you'll see the date code. take a pic of that and post it.

If they are '70 heads, they are supposed to be 11:1. The 71 heads are D0AE-GA (GA where the N is located) and are slightly lower at 10.7:1

Here is an example of a 71 head date code. It is 0 M 1. M is Dec, 1 the day, 0 is 1970. This head was cast on Dec 1st 1970. Sorry it's a bit out of focus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought, This might be a replacement engine, Certainly the heads are not from a 72. If the starter can be removed, can you see the engine block casting numbers and date code. You just may have a really good motor in that car, but unfortunately, not numbers matching.

Geoff.

All 351C engines used the same head gasket. You cna get a complete gasket set for under $50.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1971,mustang,5.8l+351cid+v8,1132692,engine,engine+kit+gasket+set,10392

Those are the D0AE closed chamber heads and are more desirable than the open chamber. I assume you also have the flat top pistons with the single valve relief? Definitely check the casting number and date on the block by the starter. If you're lucky it still has the original 4 bolt CJ block.

Here are pics of the pistons and blown head gasket.  You can see where the #8 cylinder is cleaner than the rest.  It looks like both 7 and 8 were getting water.  

Can you tell by the pic what pistons I have?  They appear to be flat top single valve relief.

Btw, that's not metal shavings it is pieces of gasket.

The last 3 pics were taken after I cleaned the gasket surfaces up  with a scotchbrite pad.

A nice set of closed chamber heads. Did you find the date code on them? My 70 M-code has the same D0AE Closed Chamber with a date code of Dec '69 (9M13 & 9M16).

A nice set of closed chamber heads. Did you find the date code on them? My 70 M-code has the same D0AE Closed Chamber with a date code of Dec '69 (9M13 & 9M16).

I didn't get a chance to get back out in the garage and look at the date code last night.  I will do it this evening and post a pic. ::thumb::

Wade, one more thing you need to check that has not been mentioned. If you get a mirror, take a look at the rear end of the drivers side block just below the head split line. The partial VIN number should be there. You may need to scrape off old paint to see it. Take a picture in the mirror is the best way to read it. It should be the same numbers as your VIN tag for the car. If not, you have a swopped out engine and very likely a 1970 or early 71 M code.

Getting interesting!

Geoff.

Those are dished with a single relief. Clean the top of one off to see if there is a stamp. If they are oversize, there should be. If not, you might still have the original shortblock in there. The 351C went to dished pistons in '73 and since your car is such a late build '72, it might have gotten them. Check the back of the driver's side of the block as Stanglover noted for the VIN stamping.

Yes and yes.

Those are dished with a single relief. Clean the top of one off to see if there is a stamp. If they are oversize, there should be. If not, you might still have the original shortblock in there. The 351C went to dished pistons in '73 and since your car is such a late build '72, it might have gotten them.  Check the back of the driver's side of the block as Stanglover noted for the VIN stamping.

Yes and yes.
Thanks!

I will check the VIN tonight.

So if the are dished pistons with 70-71 closed chambered heads what kind of compression might I be looking at?

Wade,

Another thing to note. Look inside your valve covers there should be a stamped part welded to the inside of the covers. That makes the oil splash around and oil the rockers better. I see your rockers do not have the stamping that Ford added in later 71 models to improve the oiling.

You for sure need to get the heads checked to see if warped. The rockers should be changed to the better ones also. Hey that snow ball is growing, lol.

You cannot tell if your block is two or four bolt without looking through drain hole or pull the pan. The casting numbers are the same on both just machined different.

If your block does not have a VIN stamped in it would be an across the counter block. There are other ways they were stamped at other assembly plants. The mustangs were stamped very haphazardly not very even. I have one that is stamped much smaller and very in line.

If there is not number easy enough to put yours.

I have the next step down from your heads the GA version but still CC. The pistons in my 73 vert are flat top and .050" over which is pushing the limits.

Pic of the GA heads and flat top pistons and rocker with the oiling stamping in it.

If you do not have a good place to do valve job and check we have a great one here. Probably 70 miles from you. He does lots of race engines. I had him clean and magnaflux the heads in the pic. Will not build them until car is ready to put in.

See the stamping under the bolt that is what splashes the oil around to lube. Without this you need the very early 71 covers.

I will machine these for screw in studs also before I use them.

David, I think you mistook who's heads they are without the oil splash stampings in the rockers. The set of N heads I had were already machine for studs, but I also have the covers for a 70 and they do have the stamping spot welded in, so there's a good chance scgamecock's covers have that. He does not show a picture of the top side of those heads to be sure if they have oilers. If the person who put the N heads on used the original 72 covers, then he may not have any oiler splash stampings. We need to see the top side of the N heads.

Geoff.

Back