What I learned converting to power front disk brakes.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be awesome if someone could link to the firewall templates to mount the new booster.

I supposed the brake pedal mount has the holes for the booster to bolt thru like every other ford.

jowens1126,

I bought my Manual brakes to Power conversion kit back in the spring from Leed brakes, no modification to the fire all at all, its fit right in the stock opening after removing the block off plate, they also show you how to modify the pedal for power brakes, it 2" lower then manual.

http://leedbrakes.com/ag-645546.645576.645577-1972-ford-mustang.html

Are spindles from front drum brakes different as disc brakes?
Check, but I think it depends on what brand and type of conversion kit you buy. As mentioned before, I went with the Kelsey-Hayes style 4 piston kit and this kit did NOT need to change the spindles. All that was needed was to remove the drum hub and that can be done without taking it apart first. Again, I replaced all my lines with SS, but it still only took me a little over 2 hours to do.

Are spindles from front drum brakes different as disc brakes?
Check, but I think it depends on what brand and type of conversion kit you buy. As mentioned before, I went with the Kelsey-Hayes style 4 piston kit and this kit did NOT need to change the spindles. All that was needed was to remove the drum hub and that can be done without taking it apart first. Again, I replaced all my lines with SS, but it still only took me a little over 2 hours to do.
Actually my plan is to swap the disc brakes from my Grandé to the Mach 1 which has drums.

Both cars are from 73 wih brake boosters.

Marti reports says front disc brakes on the Grandé and same for the Mach 1. Don't know if Marti reports are 100 % trustable or could be the Mach 1 has been swapped before sent to Europe.

It would be awesome if someone could link to the firewall templates to mount the new  booster.

I supposed the brake pedal mount has the holes for the booster to bolt thru like every other ford.
 Ok, looks like this was never answered. I'm not sure what your question is, but I'll try. The pedal mount support needs to have the two lower holes drilled out to 3/8th" removing the old threads. Mine was different because I wanted to replace the clutch pivot bushing with ball bearings, a kit I bought from Mustang Steve. If you're doing an automatic I think it can be done without removing the bracket, just a pain to get in there to replace the pivot pin and bushings, but removing the seat helps big time. ( I do that now any time I'm working in that area)

If you're doing either a manual or automatic, the push rod pin MUST be lowered 2". Automatic brake pedals are a bit easier to find, but the manual ones are like hen's teeth. I got a new pin with my bearing kit, drilled the hole and welded in the new pin 2" lower. As a bonus, if anyone wanted to return it to manual drums (why I don't know, but!!) the original pin is still there.

All,

From what understand, there should be no drilling at all involved!

Drum Brakes

Source: Ford Motor Co. CR: May 1975

You just need the right mounting plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

From what understand, there should be no drilling at all involved!

Drum Brakes

Source: Ford Motor Co. CR: May 1975

You just need the right mounting plates.
 Not so. there are two studs # 384463-5 I think, that hold the bottom of the pedal bracket on a non-power brake set-up. These are screwed into the pedal bracket. It is these holes that have to be drilled out so the lower two attachment bolts on the booster can pass through and have the nuts hold it all together.

This of course is referring to a power brake booster upgrade for disc brakes on a non power drum brake car. I'm sorry if I got off track on this as I think jowens1126 really wanted to know if the spindles are different on factory drum and disc cars. In that case I do believe they are. Some conversion kits such as the SSBC one I installed, fit factory drum brake spindles, so no change was necessary.

Geoff.

For whatever is worth it, here is a picture of the template that comes with the LEED brake booster. It shows the difference between the hole location of manual vs. power brakes. The hole of the power brakes is about 7/16" higher.

20180220_232108.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back