What is the preferred company for replacement sheet metal?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I have to replace my hood and was wondering what the preferred manufacturer\vendor is for quality fit and finish?  I want to go back with the hood lock holes already cut in to the hood too since mine did not come with that option but I want to add it.  I may need a fender too, it just depends on if I can get the dent out of the center body line crease.

LOL, Midlife is right but finding a good original is tough.

I think there is only one set of tooling for repo of the 71 - 73 mustang and that would be Dynacorn. You can get from any mustang parts supplier. Better if you can pick it up in person and inspect it before you leave. They get damaged in shipment a lot.

You cannot get with holes already in the hood for the locks. You have to do that and you also have to bow the hood to match your fenders. Do not try to shim fenders to match the bow in the hood.

They do not weld the hem of the hood so that you can change the arch then spot weld the hem to keep it there. Do a search of the forum people have added the hood locks and bowing the hood is also out there.

You basically put it on blocks of wood on the floor on the four corners and put stop block under the center edge and stand on it, lol.

Old hoods are bad to rust out on the reinforcement up front and also in front of the hinges. You will hear rust rattling around inside.

A new hood from Dynacorn has black E-coat on it that should be removed completely on the exterior and sanded good on the inside. There is usually rust under the E-Coat that will eventually come through a great paint job. The E-Coat does not get between the tight places between the inner and outer. You can get some kits to spray inside the layers with a long want. Eastwood carries them.

Also you have to seam seal the hem after you get it all fit.

LOL, Midlife is right but finding a good original is tough.

I think there is only one set of tooling for repo of the 71 - 73 mustang and that would be Dynacorn. You can get from any mustang parts supplier. Better if you can pick it up in person and inspect it before you leave. They get damaged in shipment a lot.

You cannot get with holes already in the hood for the locks. You have to do that and you also have to bow the hood to match your fenders. Do not try to shim fenders to match the bow in the hood.

They do not weld the hem of the hood so that you can change the arch then spot weld the hem to keep it there. Do a search of the forum people have added the hood locks and bowing the hood is also out there.

You basically put it on blocks of wood on the floor on the four corners and put stop block under the center edge and stand on it, lol.

Old hoods are bad to rust out on the reinforcement up front and also in front of the hinges. You will hear rust rattling around inside.

A new hood from Dynacorn has black E-coat on it that should be removed completely on the exterior and sanded good on the inside. There is usually rust under the E-Coat that will eventually come through a great paint job. The E-Coat does not get between the tight places between the inner and outer. You can get some kits to spray inside the layers with a long want. Eastwood carries them.

Also you have to seam seal the hem after you get it all fit.
DAMN!!!  Is nothing easy!! lollerz

I do see that Dallas Mustang has the Dynacorn hood with the pin holes already cut out. 

https://www.dallasmustang.com/hood-assembly-1971-1973-with-nasa-scoop-hood-pin-holes.html

Back