Reproduction sheet metal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markafss

Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1, C6, original owner
I probably need to replace both quarter panels and outer wheel wells. Looking for input on fit and finish, thickness of metal, and best overall quality. Any recommendations, or are they all made by one manufacturer in offshore? TIA

I used Dynacorn rear quarters. If I recall correctly, the inner and outer wheel houses were CJ Classic from CJ Pony Parts. They Dynacorn quarters fit pretty well. The wheelhouses required some significant tweaking, but I was able to make them work. Not sure about who makes them, but it seems like, anymore, they all come from overseas.

I got a bunch of sheet metal from Ohio Mustang and some from CJ Pony Parts. I was not impressed with CJ Pony.

Have Dynacorn quarters on my 72 vert and am very happy with them. I bought pretty much all dynacorn: a one piece floor, trunk, quarters, inner/outer wheel wells, and NASA hood. In general the sheet metal lined up pretty well.

I have had bad experiences with aftermarket sheet metal in the past - particularly on fenders for whatever reason - but I felt like the Dynacorn stuff I used was pretty good. As you suspect, some pieces were just the same as everyone else's, but some were definitely superior. All pieces, even NOS take some massaging but I never had that “I saved money on the part but lost it on the labor, or compromised on the fit” moment with the stuff I used from Dynacorn on my vert. But because of past experience I found an original fender for the side I had to replace and didn’t chance it.

Last thing I’ll add: I ordered the parts and picked them up so I could inspect everything before I took it. For those Mustang parts it was a 4 hour round trip but worth it to me. I know that isn’t always possible, but I have gone as far as 5-6 hours away to pick up sheet metal (for my 70 Jimmy). On these large complicated pieces there are just too many opportunities to have them get dinged up, and shipping costs are pretty high anyway so I like to go in person.

Last edited:
With respect to most 71-73 major sheet metal panels, it's all "relatively newer" tooling (compared to 65-70), there's only one factory/tooling in Taiwan for it, and the quality is pretty tried and true. They did a pretty good job when they tooled-up for the 71-73 fenders, hoods, doors and quarters, relatively speaking.

Dynacorn doesn't "make" anything, but they do have the exclusive agreement on the quarters. So we have to buy our quarters through Dynacorn. But the outer wheelhouses we're able to buy direct, which is what we do. But it's the same factory and tooling as Dynacorn.

Now, if this was, for example, a 65-66 Mustang forum, I would strongly suggest to the forum that all sheet metal is not the same, and that there are multiple manufacturers and toolings involved and competing, and a lot of "brand confusion" due to the fact that the well-known brands are not actually manufacturers, just importers.

But, for 71-73, since the tooling is newer and the volume/demand smaller, it's still pretty much an all-the-same deal.

Rick
NPD

There are a couple "gotchas" on the 71-73 parts.

The taillight panels are pre-punched for the 73-only center bumper filler panel - on a 71-72, those holes need to be welded shut. It's the entire horizontal row above the bumper mount holes. You also want to verify the brackets for the taillights are welded on correctly. I've seen a couple instances where they were crooked and the car was already painted.

Some quarters also come pre-punched for the 73-only quarter extension bumper filler piece. Again, those holes need to be welded shut on a 71-72.

Another bit of advice is to tack or self tap all of the panels in place and dry fit everything before welding. You'll want to have the valance, quarter extensions and trunk lid all installed to make sure everything lines up correctly.

1706895899177.png

Last edited:
There are a couple "gotchas" on the 71-73 parts.

The taillight panels are pre-punched for the 73-only center bumper filler panel - on a 71-72, those holes need to be welded shut. It's the horizontal row above the bumper mount holes. You also want to verify the brackets for the taillights are welded on correctly. I've seen a couple instances where they were crooked and the car was already painted.

Some quarters also come pre-punched for the 73-only quarter extension bumper filler piece. Again, those holes need to be welded shut on a 71-72.

Another bit of advice is to tack or self tap all of the panels in place and dry fit everything before welding. You'll want to have the valance, quarter extensions and trunk lid all installed to make sure everything lines up correctly.

View attachment 85389
Hey Hemi,
Do you mean JUST the two holes indicated?

Hemikiller is right!!! Test fit everything before welding it in place. Clecos, tek screws and clamping pliers are your friend when replacing sheet metal. I found that my quarter panel rear extensions didn't really fit my quarters very well, and had to do some work on the quarters to get everything matching nicely. Plan 3, 4, 7 steps ahead to hopefully avoid having to do a lot of extra work.

Back