What is this line on my FMX transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parforever

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Can anybody tell me what line is running on the very top passenger side of my FMX transmission. You can see it in the attached picture running along the top and then to the back. Appears to be hooked to nothing so whats its purpose? Its the line running on top from front to rear that is under the dipstick holder in the third pic. Had to add the after picture also :)

transmission (53).JPG

transmission (42).jpg

transmission (58).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anybody tell me what line is running on the very top passenger side of my FMX transmission. You can see it in the attached picture running along the top and then to the back. Appears to be hooked to nothing so whats its purpose? Its the line running on top from front to rear that is under the dipstick holder in the third pic. Had to add the after picture also :)
I'm not totally familiar with the FMX, but I believe it is a vent tube.

I thought it was the vacuum line for the vacuum modulator, with a rubber hose at each end connecting to the intake manifold and vacuum modulator.

It's just a vent tube. Vacuum modulator is on the drivers side. Originally there was a metal line running form the intake down to the modulator with a rubber hose in between the two.

Thanks everybody...the forum never disappoints me as I'm putting my baby back together.

Doug is correct, it is a vent tube and goes up so that if the car drives through water it will not contaminate the transmission fluid. Without a vent fluids don't circulate properly.
It is the fluid over flow tube. Just finished rebuilding mine.

In the last picture, there are actually two lines - one begins up front, skirts the top ridgeline of the transmission body on the the passenger side, drops down next to another line on the backside of the transmission body, then both drop down to underneath the pan and head forward (although, one looks like it runs off to where the torque box would be if it were still in the car).

B-Z-Z-Z-T!! It's not a "vent tube."

Those are both of the transmission fluid cooling lines that run up to the transmission cooler in the radiator (1 supply and 1 return line).

Unless I'm missing something else altogether.

These are also supposed to be hard lines all the way to the radiator on the driver side - yours have been clipped. Check with Classic Tube or Inline Tube for a replacement set.

Back